Facebook-like "Wall"?

Josh111

Is there a page of all recent status updates of either my friends, or the whole site?

The comments/status posts are very well thought out, BTW.

If you are logged in you can post your status at the top.

I WANT it to function that way. It's just like Facebook. People post funny one-liners, links to cool stuff they find on the internet, and comment on each other's stuff. It gives my users something to do that's fun and lighthearted, and keeps them coming back for more, instead of just serious forum discussiona.
this sideblock is looking like it is close to becoming something that could suit your needs. he says he is going to add status commenting to it, and if you were able to then hack it to fit on a page rather than the sidebar, youd be there.

Who said anything about wanting to compete with Facebook?
I never said that XenForo ever had intentions of competing with Facebook. I just stated my view - which was that forums can't really compete with Facebook at the level they're at now. My apologies for using XF as the example, however it is the most social forum platform out there, and the one that has the highest chance of getting anything close to what Facebook is, should it be beneficial.

I agree

I think people just use it because everyone else does
Well they have done something that others didn't do at a certain time. Otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are now. I think the UI is pretty good too, but on the other hand I couldn't hang out there for long. For me it's just one of many profile sites with some extra activity attached that I don't use. And I agree, there will come a time when something new comes and then even Facebook will be defeated, just like MySpace and others were.

there will come a time when something new comes and then even Facebook will be defeated, just like MySpace and others were.
Facebook obviously went viral, where MySpace is pretty much dying / dead.
Facebook is going to die, just like email is going to die. NOT !
fbmarketcap-chart.png

Facebook was worth $25 billion in June 2010.
Facebook is not another MySpace.

Facebook has become more than the average social tool. Many sites outside Facebook have a recommend or like tab (see below). Other media like radio stations, news programs, and talk shows use facebook to include their listeners/viewers in their programming. Public services like Police and other similar officials use facebook to send out amber alerts and public warnings. You can link your phone and other devices, your email and your accounts with twitter, youtube, blogger and other blog sites (and who knows what else I'm forgetting - other music sites, pictures sites, etc). Viral is a very good word for it.

@OP - It's not the same as a status update page, but if there are certain people you like to stay in contact with, use the follow feature with your news feed tab. It will still show posts and such but it's not as full as what's new or recent activity, so status update will be more easily seen.

fbmarketcap-chart.png

The problem is that social network sites depend on their 'hip' and 'cool' factor. It's like trends and hypes... there's always a new guy on the block that's just a bit cooler, more trendy, more ahead of the rest. It's not like a trusty search engine or email client, which are concepts that depend much more on quality and functionality than the hip factor. In the next 5 to 10 years something new will come, that's just how the web evolves. Facebook's survival depends on how innovative and cool the new thing will be, and how the masses are going to react to all this. Will FB die soon? Not likely. Will it stay more popular than anything else to come? I wouldn't bet on it.

fbmarketcap-chart.png

No one knows the worth of facebook! It's quite easy to calculate what a company is worthy: Find a price for which all stocks of a company will be sold and then multiply it with the number of stocks.

But: There is not such a price. Right, Goldman has bought some stocks (0.8%). But it's foolish to multiply that by the factor to evaluate the company. Because maybe Goldman's Price is much too high (very possible). Or much to low (barely possible). And I doubt that anyone would buy 99.2 % of the shares for the price Goldman bought them.

See, Facebook is a big black hole. Like Madows Fund was. Because they do not disclose any financial informations! No one knows for sure if Facebook at all makes any profit and if how high it is.

So stop painting any fancy graphics about facebook if there's no stock price at a stock exchange or any kind of financial transparency!

Said so: There is no guarantee that facebook will be big in 2 years. google was underrated and now is a big shot. But how's about altavista: Seriously, do you know anyone who's using it? That's how business works..

Top Bottom