Facebook Integration - Why?

I am new to xenforo and now trying to find my way around this nice forum and all its setup.

Now I bumped into the facebook integration. What does it do?

1 ) Is it just the login to the forum ?
2) When people signup with their fb ID, will the forum contain their email address (for sending updates etc)
3) Will messages posted to their facebook ?

What else does the integration do?

Thanks...

Thanks. I read that page, but it was just how to set it up, I missed the benefits for setting that up (and drawbacks)
p.s. Just playing with xf now, purchased it 2 hours ago... feels like coming home... such a breeze to set it up, and looks very well designed. Great Job

All I really want is to be able to add a logo for when members share the forum on their page. I feel that the registration to the forum in facebook hijacks my members.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do one without the other -- add a logo without the facebook registration? I haven't found anything in xenforo or the facebook developer site that answers this question.

Last edited:
All I really want is to be able to add a logo for when members share the forum on their page. I feel that the registration to the forum in facebook hijacks my members.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do one without the other -- add a log without the facebook registration? I haven't found anything in xenforo or the facebook developer site that answers this question.
Set your OpenGraph image in the ACP, then you will have the logo when people share on FB.

Appearance --> Styles --> Master Style (or your custom style) --> Style Property Groups --> Settings

Set your OpenGraph image in the ACP, then you will have the logo when people share on FB.

Appearance --> Styles --> Master Style (or your custom style) --> Style Property Groups --> Settings

Thank you Fred. I get as far as "Style Property Groups" but can't specifically find "Settings." If you mean the "Facebook Open Graph Logo" in "Header and Navigation," I have that, but then I was told I have to follow some steps in facebook developer to have the logo appear. This is when the facebook signup came into play. Meanwhile, the logo has yet to appear on facebook (though it does show in messages). I find this all very confusing (I hate facebook).

Last edited:
Thank you Fred. I get as far as "Style Property Groups" but can't specifically find "Settings." If you mean the "Facebook Open Graph Logo" in "Header and Navigation," I have that, but then I was told I have to follow some steps in facebook developer to have the logo appear. This is when the facebook signup came into play. Meanwhile, the logo has yet to appear on facebook (though it does show in messages). I find this all very confusing (I hate facebook).
Oh, sorry. I forgot some
Appearance --> Styles --> Master Style (or your custom style) --> Style Property Groups --> Header and Navigation --> Settings
And there you can set the OpenGraph logo. You can also just search for graph in the ACP to get there.

I'm not sure but I don't think you have to setup a Facebook developer account just to be able to show the OpenGraph Image.
I don't think It has anything to do with each other.
It should work once you update the opengraph image.

You can test it here
http://opengraphcheck.com

Oh, sorry. I forgot some
Appearance --> Styles --> Master Style (or your custom style) --> Style Property Groups --> Header and Navigation --> Settings
And there you can set the OpenGraph logo. You can also just search for graph in the ACP to get there.

I'm not sure but I don't think you have to setup a Facebook developer account just to be able to show the OpenGraph Image.
I don't think It has anything to do with each other.
It should work once you update the opengraph image.

You can test it here
http://opengraphcheck.com

The tags look in order, it's just that I have the registration too.

As far as I understand, the tricky part seems to be, in order for the Open Graph logo to appear on facebook you have to provide a Facebook App ID and Facebook App Secret, which you have to get from the facebook developer page (or am I wrong? I don't remember how many steps I took to get myself in this mess). I think that's where I got sucked into the facebook registration for new members.

I hate facebook

Last edited:
Maybe I was too impatient for the logo to appear and tried to use facebook's debugger thinking that would speed things up.

Note that due to caching it can take several weeks for the image to update on the Facebook servers.
https://xenforo.com/help/facebook/

Ack, the devil's in the details.

Now I need to figure out how to disable the registration.

Last edited:
Maybe I was too impatient for the logo to appear and tried to use facebook's debugger thinking that would speed things up.

Ack, the devil's in the details.

Now I need to figure out how to disable the registration.
Just remove your Facebook application Id and Facebook registration should be disabled. :)

I thought I knew. it was working fine, the logo showed up on facebook and in messages, now I just don't know... , it doesn't work.

Does this test work? Then it's fine.
Change it and leave it. Because if you always changing and they refresh the cache when it doesn't work then you might have to wait a few weeks until they refresh the cache again.

It says "No Open Graph info found!"

It says "No Open Graph info found!"
Then it's not setup correctly. Do you still have a working OG image link? If you paste the image url in the browser do you see the image?
I think you might need the Facebook application Id and secret then. I don't know what else could cause this.

Or did you change anything in the "open_graph_meta" template?

I didn't change anything. The og image link is still there and appears in the browser.

I need to understand the implications for my memberships before I do the facebook integration again.

Top Bottom