Extra License

Dan

First, I am horrible at offering advice to others so any feedback given is very grateful and appreciated. Not an easy thing to do.

Extra License is, I believe, an excellent niche forum. I see many general webmaster forums that offer "marketplaces" to buy and sell licenses, databases, sites, domains, etc. Many of these sites have additional requirements to post in those sections. So i decided to reverse that market and make a site dedicated to buying and selling of the previous mentioned items and have a general discussion section secondary. This allows, hopefully, a one stop shop for those in need of off loading extra licenses or acquiring new ones, all without the need to purchase a premium subscription or a minimum post count.

Having said that, please visit http://extralicense.com and let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Clean easy to read layout, looks good. My only beef with the site is the header area, I would suggest a complete revamp such as the banner and the navigation. Maybe reducing the header portion if there's just going to be text on it.

Luckily the forum part looks great! I would just work on the header.

Clean easy to read layout, looks good. My only beef with the site is the header area, I would suggest a complete revamp such as the banner and the navigation. Maybe reducing the header portion if there's just going to be text on it.

Luckily the forum part looks great! I would just work on the header.
I agree with Russ, work on a better logo/brand. Other than that, it looks good and I think should be a good niche...best of luck to you!
Thanks for the feedback. Will work on that and report back.

For now, I decreased the size of the logo and header area. Logo is still being worked on. Is this what you guys had in mind?

I'm not sure if I'm being pedantic but this doesn't sound right to me: "The Place For Webmasters to Buy and Sell Your Extra Script Licenses "
You use 'webmasters' then say 'your'... when I first read it I thought a better wording would be "The place for webmasters to buy and sell their extra script licenses" or "the place for you to buy and sell your extra script licenses"

I think the use of 'you' is more direct address than the use of 'webmasters'... but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Other than that, it's a nice site: simple, easy to read and navigate, can't argue really.

I'm not sure if I'm being pedantic but this doesn't sound right to me: "The Place For Webmasters to Buy and Sell Your Extra Script Licenses "
You use 'webmasters' then say 'your'... when I first read it I thought a better wording would be "The place for webmasters to buy and sell their extra script licenses" or "the place for you to buy and sell your extra script licenses"

I think the use of 'you' is more direct address than the use of 'webmasters'... but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Other than that, it's a nice site: simple, easy to read and navigate, can't argue really.
You have no idea how long I have struggled with that terminology. :p

I noticed you changed the terminology.

Have you considered something snappier, such as "Buy, Sell, Trade your Licenses". Here's a quick idea for a guest layout:

Extra License
Buy, Sell, Trade your Licenses

Extra License aims to offer you a convenient location for you to buy, sell or trade any script license you can think of!
As you are viewing our site as a guest.. [etc]

I've only just looked at this so am unsure how much has changed since you first posted, but...

I like the concept. A place to buy/sell forum licences which gets straight to it without any hassle, silly conditions or distractions. I certainly wish you well with it.

I also like the design. It's clear and simple which you need for this type of site.

I'd like a plain english tagline somewhere prominent just to say bluntly what the site is about, for the tech-illiterate. Your logo isn't clear enough about what your site is IMHO and the guest message mentions "scripts" instead of "forums", not everyone who might be looking to buy a forum licence will realise what "scripts" means. So maybe as part of your logo, a one sentence tag line that says what you do: "Buy and sell licences for forums and other scripts"? Or if not maybe reword your guest message just to spell it out. I know it sounds pedantic but when a new visitor arrives you have a very short time frame in which to hook them and you would be amazed at the number of newbies out there who are unfamiliar with our world and its terms.

I don't think it pertains only to forum licenses. The fact that he hasn't specified a particular platform in his site means he can expand it in future which is great.

I agree on the tag line, that's why I suggested the "Buy, Sell Trade [etc]" and the guest message does need re-wording. It needs more direct address. Think back to persuasive writing techniques that you learn in school ;)

I don't think it pertains only to forum licenses. The fact that he hasn't specified a particular platform in his site means he can expand it in future which is great.

I agree on the tag line, that's why I suggested the "Buy, Sell Trade [etc]" and the guest message does need re-wording. It needs more direct address. Think back to persuasive writing techniques that you learn in school ;)
Right. I was thinking about "The Recycle Center for Webmasters" or "Giving Communities a Second Chance"
What do you think of those tag lines? Just thinking out loud.

Giving communities a second chance sounds like you're buying failing websites :rolleyes:

I'm still pondering the former "The recycle center for webmasters". It's covered in ambiguity. I'm still deciding whether or not it's better to be ambiguous or spell it out... I'm not too sure.
I think perhaps drop the webmaster line too. In things like slogans/tag lines you want to directly address the visitor as much as possible.

Extra License: The License Recycling Center
Extra License: Buy, Sell, Trade your script licenses!
Extra License: Scrap your vB, pick up your XF <- (just kiddin ;))

Right. I was thinking about "The Recycle Center for Webmasters" or "Giving Communities a Second Chance"
What do you think of those tag lines? Just thinking out loud.

To me these are still ambiguous. I'd get right to the point and spell it out. I like James's "Buy, Sell, Trade" idea and I would still have a laypersons term "forums" rather than "scripts". So how about "Buy, sell and trade your forum and script licenses". Your recycle logo also means you don't need to use the word "recycle" explicitly.

Also think about what search engines will pick up. What do you think people will search for on google? I would have thought "secondhand forum license" or "selling a forum license" or "buying a forum license" etc. They would be good phrases to get in your guest message, which google will see.

Really this discussion highlights there is no right or wrong way of doing this and how we all have different ways of phrasing things :)

I had that point in mind but completely forgot to actually state it. You need to use as many of your forum's keywords as possible. Second-hand, forum, script, license, xenforo, vbulletin, IPB, etc.

Top Bottom