External Drives

I just get a cheap fanless eSATA or USB2 enclosure, and use an old drive, and put a new bigger drive into the computer. This way the computer has good new drive, and it's a cheap solution going external.

If I'm not mistaken that model and the 1tb model have been known to have power supply issues with the supply being dodgy and many people resorting to using 3rd party power supply units.

I'd recommend the buffalo range of external hardrives (when I took apart) uses the western digital drives.

I just get a cheap fanless eSATA or USB2 enclosure, and use an old drive, and put a new bigger drive into the computer. This way the computer has good new drive, and it's a cheap solution going external.
I use a laptop, no room for another drive. Having an external gives me the ability to have more than one hard drive and I am old school, I honestly prefer my operating system drive be no larger than 120 gigs and really prefer an 80 gig one cause I have VERY little on my operating drive.

My post still stands, obviously.

You can just get a cheap enclosure and another drive. It's usually way cheaper than buying the full iomega package.

1tb samsung f1 drive is 65$ and usb2 enclosure without a fan is 15$.

If I'm not mistaken that model and the 1tb model have been known to have power supply issues with the supply being dodgy and many people resorting to using 3rd party power supply units.

I'd recommend the buffalo range of external hardrives (when I took apart) uses the western digital drives.

Such as this one? http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-073-BF (Which just happens to be even cheaper than the previous drive I was looking at :P)

My post still stands, obviously.

You can just get a cheap enclosure and another drive. It's usually way cheaper than buying the full iomega package.

1tb samsung f1 drive is 65$ and usb2 enclosure without a fan is 15$.
Mine doesn't even use an enclosure and it's firewire. It just sits right behind the computer and it's about the size of a good size "old" hand held PDA. MUCH smaller than any of the other externals I've used. What I WANT is this but we haven't been able to justify a new router yet. :) Besides, that one will go to the iMac, not my laptop.

Don't go anywhere near Seagate drives for > 1TB.

And if you have to get an external disk, get one with USB3 and/or eSATA or you will eventually come to regret the USB2 bottleneck.

Mine doesn't even use an enclosure and it's firewire. It just sits right behind the computer and it's about the size of a good size "old" hand held PDA. MUCH smaller than any of the other externals I've used. What I WANT is this but we haven't been able to justify a new router yet. :) Besides, that one will go to the iMac, not my laptop.

You got only the laptop 2,5 inch drive with no enclosure, and put the firewire in it directly?
I rather protect it from exposure though? He was asking for something like a 1TB drive, laptop drives tend to get much more expensive when you get near tb range.

You got only the laptop 2,5 inch drive with no enclosure, and put the firewire in it directly?
Yes, the macbook pro has a plug for the firewire. It doesn't need an enclosure as it's an external and designed to be used that way. Came with all the proper plugs and everything.
He was asking for something like a 1TB drive, laptop drives tend to get much more expensive when you get near tb range.
That's true. However, I have used all but this last drive on my desktops as well. And this is the only iomega I've had.

Thinking about buying an external drive for backing up photos and media stuff.

Looking at this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-228-SE&groupid=1657&catid=1659&subcat=941

I know nothing about hardware or anything like that and was wondering if someone could give me some opinions on that drive and / or point me in the direction of something better (less than £100 1TB) if possible!
There's a small company down the road from me that deals in components and not a bad price either, I'm always down there for something. As far as I remember they send stuff out by courier too.

http://computeuk.co.uk/hard_drives.asp

Seagate 1TB drive. Not given me any problems the 3 months I've had it but the power cord got 'pinched' somehow and now has some bare wires ... need to get some electricians tape.

Yes, the macbook pro has a plug for the firewire. It doesn't need an enclosure as it's an external and designed to be used that way. Came with all the proper plugs and everything.
It has an enclosure, just not one that's meant to be opened by users.

I recommend you get a 2.5 inch drive for external use. They use much less power so they can survive in a silent external enclosure with passive cooling (unlike 3.5 inch drives). The lower power usage also means you can use bus power (no external brick).

This is the best 2.5 inch external drive I have found:

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/CB2-52-1000-M.html

I have two of them. You can get them up to 1TB if you need a lot of space.

I recommend against pre-built external hdd's The only HDD enclosure to date for a single drive I have yet to have a problem with.

These are the drives I use inside my tower and my single HDD enclosures (all the new orders of this drive are all pretty much being shipped with the newest FW) which would be the cause of any problems people may have reported)... I have 20+ seagates running with no failures (knocks on wood) and all my redundants are SG as well.

I also use a storage tower and I love this thing. No failures with the current 8 of these drives installed in this hot-swappable tower

hdd1.jpg

Thinking about buying an external drive for backing up photos and media stuff.

Looking at this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-228-SE&groupid=1657&catid=1659&subcat=941

I know nothing about hardware or anything like that and was wondering if someone could give me some opinions on that drive and / or point me in the direction of something better (less than £100 1TB) if possible!
I use to have Western Digital USB 2GB *5, they have good value for the money and never had any problems with them. I recently bought a Drobo S and very happy with it. The best thing: I could use all my old WD HD's right out of their USB enclosures. Easier than RAID and very fast transfer through eSATA.

Top Bottom