External Drives

I recommend against pre-built external hdd's The only HDD enclosure to date for a single drive I have yet to have a problem with.

These are the drives I use inside my tower and my single HDD enclosures (all the new orders of this drive are all pretty much being shipped with the newest FW) which would be the cause of any problems people may have reported)... I have 20+ seagates running with no failures (knocks on wood) and all my redundants are SG as well.

I also use a storage tower and I love this thing. No failures with the current 8 of these drives installed in this hot-swappable tower
While those are great if you are staying in one place, they aren't very mobile. Mine can be tucked in my laptop case and go with me. But yes, it is a pre-built.

I beg the differ Miss,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145075
for 1.5 Tb in this case that keeps the drive at a decent temp is definitely as mobile as I need to get. Maybe your needs confine you to a smaller space than the 7 and a quarter inches this case occupies.

Funny though lol, the case actually says mobile on it :-)

I only warn against pre-builts as most that have their own driver/software suite that makes them incompatible with routers that have a usb NAS port, also they tend to fail on playback of certain file-types and some (in the past at any rate) straight-up don't allow it. (my cousin had one that did I will find the name and update after I talk to him).

Also after hours of playback, the smaller the enclosure the more heat... unless you have away to remove the heat, you will either have to use it for short time periods, avoid using it for heavy media playback, or have a failed drive in a short time.

That's why I recommend 2.5 inch drives for external use. They can survive with passive cooling which eliminates the problem that most external enclosures have which is cooling. Never trust a 3.5 inch drive to a passive cooling system, no matter how much aluminum is used in the enclosure. And active cooling systems in external enclosures are usually cheap and noisy. Go 2.5 inch, passive cooling, bus powered. Good stuff.

I beg the differ Miss,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145075
for 1.5 Tb in this case that keeps the drive at a decent temp is definitely as mobile as I need to get. Maybe your needs confine you to a smaller space than the 7 and a quarter inches this case occupies.
Also after hours of playback, the smaller the enclosure the more heat... unless you have away to remove the heat, you will either have to use it for short time periods, avoid using it for heavy media playback, or have a failed drive in a short time.
Well, considering my "desk" is about 2 inches bigger than my laptop, yes, that is too big. :) I needed one that's about 3x5 at best. And that's almost too big. I don't sit at a desk due to back issues, hurts too bad.

One thing I have learned is to not trust just one hard drive. Yes, my current work is just on this one but I back up on the network regularly and onto my server as well. Called triple redundancy. I'm a wee bit paranoid in the back up department.

I'm a wee bit paranoid in the back up department.
Ditto, I have a dupe tower that never gets powered on sans the daily file dump incase of a massive surge, I only ever risk losing 2 days work at most and that's when I'm being lazy. And I save EVERYTHING :) total pack-rat when it comes to data.
Your desk sounds like it may be a tray table :)

Ditto, I have a dupe tower that never gets powered on sans the daily file dump incase of a massive surge, I only ever risk losing 2 days work at most and that's when I'm being lazy. And I save EVERYTHING :) total pack-rat when it comes to data.
Your desk sounds like it may be a tray table :)
Other than no legs, it is...it's called a laptop table tho.

Thinking about buying an external drive for backing up photos and media stuff.

Looking at this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-228-SE&groupid=1657&catid=1659&subcat=941

I know nothing about hardware or anything like that and was wondering if someone could give me some opinions on that drive and / or point me in the direction of something better (less than £100 1TB) if possible!

Why not buy a USB stick instead, you can buy a 6 or 8GIG one for £20-25. Then you'll have more portability for plugging it into another computer or laptop e.t.c.

If your only putting images and some media stuff on it like music, 6-8 GIG should be more than enough space. You can get bigger though.

If your only putting images and some media stuff on it like music, 6-8 GIG should be more than enough space. You can get bigger though.
ROFL, Got a really good giggle there...MY image folders alone is almost 200 GIGS of stuff. And that's the current stuff not my archives.

Why not buy a USB stick instead, you can buy a 6 or 8GIG one for £20-25. Then you'll have more portability for plugging it into another computer or laptop e.t.c.

Well, I have more than 150GB of media files / movies and songs. Plus around 100GB of photography work and personal photographs - so that wouldn't be a very cost effective solution.

Top Bottom