exported child skin not retaining all customisations

Kim

Hey hey

I have just completed a theme that was based off another theme, and was built as a child of that theme... on my localhost it looks like this...

red_dxf_good.webp

However after export, and subsequent re-import it has lost a lot of the customisations, including some that were in the Style Properties of the Parent skin, and some that were directly altered within templates on the child skin...

red_dxf.webp

Am I doing something wrong here?

:)

Does it show as a child of the parent style after you imported it?

The only option when importing is to select the parent style (if any) for the import, so I can not see where you could have done anything wrong if it lists under the parent style.

No, sorry should have been clear.. the skin is now all grown up and independant...I would have assumed that on export the child skin would inherit and go forth into the world with all of the attributes that the parent skin gave it... That once exported it should have all of the parent skin attributes, plus any changes that have been made to the skin directly.

Are you saying that is not the case?

I have just tested, and yes making it a child skin again does fix the issues.

FWIW, I don't think this is the best approach for this, I believe there should be either automatically or via an option the ability to export the skin with all the parent skin attributes as well as any changes that have been made.

Some other software that I am familiar with has this as an option....

ipb_childskinexport.webp

It is a sweet feature, and makes perfect sense, after all we don't want our children to be dependent forever ... well I sure don't :p

I created a child style for testing and exported it. Only the changes I did to the child style were exported, and is why the parent style needs to be selected on import.

A suggestion should be made to have the option to export the child as a child style, or as an independent style. :)

Reactions: Kim
I created a child style for testing and exported it. Only the changes I did to the child style were exported, and is why the parent style needs to be selected on import.

A suggestion should be made to have the option to export the child as a child style, or as an independent style. :)

Thank you for your time and for confirming this Lawrence, I shall make a suggestion regarding this.

:)

Damn just found this out as well. So we can't export styles and have them automatically merge the child style.

unfortunately not at this stage, I haven't had a response from anyone in the development team on my suggestion, so I don't know if it will be implimented at some stage or not... I am still hopeful it will :)

Meantime, I am going to have to use a copy of the parent skin and modify it. :)

Thanks Kim, Appreciate your response.

I posted in your other thread and I see that others have also, So fingers crossed this feature will be added. I was actually abit shocked it was not. I didnt realise until I was about to package a few skins that are all based from one skin.

Reactions: Kim
Thanks Kim, Appreciate your response.

I posted in your other thread and I see that others have also, So fingers crossed this feature will be added. I was actually abit shocked it was not. I didnt realise until I was about to package a few skins that are all based from one skin.

I had the exact same reaction, I was truly surprised, but the team are pretty responsive and I have high hopes it will be included eventually. We can but hope! :)

Top Bottom