Expert Mode

rellek

Hi,

I'd like to suggest an expert mode, maybe on per-user base like super admins. This could enable some features from the debug mode (like create a new template modification) without the whole payload from the debug mode itself (you know, it's not recommended to leave debug mode enabled in a productive environment as it takes additional resources). Just features that are hidden from users so they are prevented to screw up.

References:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/add-new-template-modification-button-missing.56660/

Upvote 28
Yeah, but I find that a little bit long-winded. An expert mode would be more handy.

There might be more that one could put into expert only... This template modification thing is just an example. Maybe more such features could come in later versions.

@Martok
Good point with that addon... I guess that could work as a first step.

I was just about to post the same "bug" here.

One of my favorite features since switching to XenForo 1.2 is the template modification system. I cannot fathom how giving access to direct template editing is considered safer or better than giving access to template modifications. I avoid modifying templates directly now unless absolutely necessary. I make all changes through the template modification system so XF software updates are much easier and I am less likely to have a broken site once the update is completed. The template modification system is also a great feature because there are several template modifications that I make and share with all of my XF sites.

I have been extremely impressed with XenForo since switching to it after years of running and developing several vBulletin sites and most decisions by the XF developers are spot on and completely logical. This one just leaves me scratching my head. I seriously recommend you reconsider the thought process on this decision. If anything, disable direct template editing if not in debug mode .. not template modifications.

I know that I will now ironically have to make a template modification to enable template modification or leave debug mode enabled for a few weeks or months until the site tweaking ends.

-Zeras

This one just leaves me scratching my head.

We had a long discussion about moving the TMS to debug only mode where many of the points and counter points were discussed.

In the end, for the average end user, editing templates directly and managing them through the template upgrade system is preferable.

The TMS is more aimed towards addon authors than normal forum owners. And while yes, if they wish they can use the TMS to edit their sites, doing things via templates will usually be easier.

We had a long discussion about moving the TMS to debug only mode where many of the points and counter points were discussed.

In the end, for the average end user, editing templates directly and managing them through the template upgrade system is preferable.

The TMS is more aimed towards addon authors than normal forum owners. And while yes, if they wish they can use the TMS to edit their sites, doing things via templates will usually be easier.

I can understand the logic you used I guess, but I still think you are taking away one of the best features XF has from the site owner/admin side. In fact, I made a suggestion in another thread that XF should create a very simple import/export system so that developers and even non-developer site owners can import/export/share template modifications. I know you can do it with an addon, but that's extreme overkill when only a small modification is necessary.

For example, one of the modifications I share on all of my sites is to make "Stay logged in" default to checked (on). While I understand the security reasoning for it being disabled by default, we were getting way too many "Your site keeps logging me out" complaints. It's a simple one line change obviously and I'm sure someone has made an addon for it, but it's a lot more hassle to go through uploading and importing addons for simple changes.

I personally think that with the TMS, XF has something that could be hugely popular .. a template modification resource library. For the developer/creator of the modification, they just have to export it to a single XML file. Then anyone could import it directly into the TMS basically just as if they manually entered it. No uploading required. No separate "imported modifications" section required .. just import it directly as if they manually created the modification.

I understand the desire to feature addons and cater to developers, but the TMS feature is something that could explode in popularity for all XF owners, not just the developers.

-Zeras

+1

Look... I don't like having to use the merge tool. If it can be a side by side view, maybe it would be a little helpful, but that’s not exactly how it works. Although I did find the edit history kind of nice.

TMS works for me a lot easier and in my opinion, safer. If X is not found in Y template, it's simply not applied and I can look it over & make the adjustments myself in TMS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom