Implemented Expand warning actions to allow adding to user groups for a time period

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Currently you can create a warning action to ban a member temporarily for a period of time.

However, you can only add to a selected user group while above a points threshold and then need to wait for the points to expire.

I want to be able to issue points for 3 months (for example), but place the the member in a pre moderated user group for 1 week.
Currently if I use the warning action on points threshold, they would be in the pre moderation user group for 3 months.

Mock up attached.
warning-action.webp

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm surprised no-one else has commented on this.

I really can't see a way of utilising the warning system to add someone to a user group for say 3 days, but to keep the points active for longer, e.g. 3 months.

That way any additional points within the 3 months would trigger the next threshold which would place them in a group for longer, e.g. 1 week.

Right now, if the points are active for 3 months then they would stay in the group for 3 months, which is obviously not going to work if that group removes posting permissions, etc. Who's going to hang around for 3 months to be able to post again?

Other than that, the only option is to use the outright ban for x days action.
Which seems a tad harsh for the first level of punishment.

While although I personally wouldn't use this new option much at all, I can clearly see where a lot of people would. It is giving the staff more control over the warning system, which is always nice and makes perfect sense in the scenario you brought up.

I like this idea.

yea agree, I could not get my head around the warning system.

I wanted - user gets 3 points and goes into 'cant pm' group for 5 days, he then comes out STILL with the points and does something else dumb and picks up 3 more which puts him into a 'cant post' group and so on...

If he is good for a month points start to fall away.

+1

Spot on Mark, that's exactly how I want to be able to use it.

I've been racking my brains for a week trying to think of workarounds but there are none.

It's either temp ban for 5 days, or user group with loss of perms for 1 month.

Perhaps the ability to add a 2nd warning for the same post? It might make things easier in several regards..

• You could give a Warning for a post, which could cause them to be moderated for 1 week which has no points, which turns the 'Warn' link into 'View Warning'.
  • Then while viewing that warning, you click on a new link which says 'give another warning for the same content', then give them some points which expire in 3 months.

Maybe?

Top Bottom