1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Expand warning actions to allow adding to user groups for a time period

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Brogan, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Currently you can create a warning action to ban a member temporarily for a period of time.

However, you can only add to a selected user group while above a points threshold and then need to wait for the points to expire.

I want to be able to issue points for 3 months (for example), but place the the member in a pre moderated user group for 1 week.
    Currently if I use the warning action on points threshold, they would be in the pre moderation user group for 3 months.

Mock up attached.
    warning-action.png

Mutt, Disrelation and Mr_Bob like this.
  2. Brogan

I'm surprised no-one else has commented on this.

I really can't see a way of utilising the warning system to add someone to a user group for say 3 days, but to keep the points active for longer, e.g. 3 months.

That way any additional points within the 3 months would trigger the next threshold which would place them in a group for longer, e.g. 1 week.

Right now, if the points are active for 3 months then they would stay in the group for 3 months, which is obviously not going to work if that group removes posting permissions, etc. Who's going to hang around for 3 months to be able to post again?

Other than that, the only option is to use the outright ban for x days action.
    Which seems a tad harsh for the first level of punishment.

Mark3121 and Rahfal like this.
  3. Rahfal

Rahfal Member

While although I personally wouldn't use this new option much at all, I can clearly see where a lot of people would. It is giving the staff more control over the warning system, which is always nice and makes perfect sense in the scenario you brought up.

I like this idea.

4. Mark3121

Mark3121 Well-Known Member

yea agree, I could not get my head around the warning system.

I wanted - user gets 3 points and goes into 'cant pm' group for 5 days, he then comes out STILL with the points and does something else dumb and picks up 3 more which puts him into a 'cant post' group and so on...

If he is good for a month points start to fall away.

+1

5. Brogan

Spot on Mark, that's exactly how I want to be able to use it.

I've been racking my brains for a week trying to think of workarounds but there are none.

It's either temp ban for 5 days, or user group with loss of perms for 1 month.

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Perhaps the ability to add a 2nd warning for the same post? It might make things easier in several regards..

• You could give a Warning for a post, which could cause them to be moderated for 1 week which has no points, which turns the 'Warn' link into 'View Warning'.
    • Then while viewing that warning, you click on a new link which says 'give another warning for the same content', then give them some points which expire in 3 months.

Maybe?

7. Brogan