EXIF Data Settings

GeeBee

Just setting up XFMG and wondered if anybody has altered the exit data settings to help with privacy for members posting photos? If so, what kind of setting do you recommend? I'm thinking mainly about date/time, but looking for any suggestions as to how to set up.

I'm not sure about privacy, as such. We don't really expose anything that would leak any private information. It's worth noting that if your users are concerned about privacy then they should be trying to remove the EXIF information from their photos before uploading them anywhere on the internet.

However, it's very easy to remove things. Just empty the boxes and click save changes. This is after make, model and the original time and date have been removed:

upload_2015-4-16_10-30-42.webp

However, just because that information will no longer be displayed, doesn't mean the information isn't still embedded into the photo. That could also expose information such as the GPS location of where the photo was taken.

Hi Chris, thanks that's great. I have suggested users stripping data before posting, but they're not too tech savvy (not that I'm much better) Will have a play around with the settings and see how things work.

By the way, the EXIF data is cached. So once you have edited the settings in my screenshot above, they will apply to all new JPG images uploaded. However, you should be able to rebuild this for existing images at Admin CP > Applications > Gallery Rebuilds > Rebuild EXIF Data

Cool thanks. I'm doing a fresh install, so all should be good. Good to know for future. Out of interest, would that work in reverse? ie if I edit out data, then in the future add the data back in and rebuild exif data, would it then show the data?

For some reason my exif data does not show on my site on a clean install and default settings on the gallery.. I tried uploading the same picture here and everything shows. Is there any setting that is blocking the data to display?

Do you have make and model specified as below in the EXIF configuration under Gallery Options > Image Options?

upload_2016-10-9_20-4-29.webp

These are the default settings, though, so they should be there unless you have changed them.

Top Bottom