• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Exclude Forum from Search Index

nrep

I've got a site that I'm considering converting with an archived section that I'd like to exclude from the search index, but currently can't. If I include this part of the site, I'll require 20GB of space in xf_search_index for no benefit (I did a test import to see the impact).

It would be very handy to have an "exclude node from search index" option.

For the time being, does anyone have a workaround?

Daniel Hood

Open
/library/XenForo/Search/DataHandler/Thread.php

under:
PHP:
if ($threadModel->isRedirect($data) || !$threadModel->isVisible($data))
        {
            return;
        }
add

PHP:
if ($data['node_id'] == X) // replace X with the id of your node (example: 1)
{
 return;
}
Open
/library/XenForo/Search/DataHandler/Post.php

under:
PHP:
$metadata['node'] = $thread['node_id']; // line 52
add

PHP:
if ($thread['node_id'] == X) // replace X with the id of your node (example: 1)
{
 return;
}

nrep

Thank you Daniel! Is that something that can be turned in to an addon, or would it always require file modification?

sinucello

Good suggestion, I also need it. Should be available both for the default and advanced search.
A related topic are ignore functions. There are add-ons allowing users to exclude forums and topics from the "what`s new" views. Those should also be removed from the search results (if the user wants that).

AndyB

I've got a site that I'm considering converting with an archived section that I'd like to exclude from the search index, but currently can't. If I include this part of the site, I'll require 20GB of space in xf_search_index for no benefit (I did a test import to see the impact).

It would be very handy to have an "exclude node from search index" option.

You should purchase the XenForo add-on Enhanced Search (aka ElasticSearch) for $45 dollars. That way you can easily include all your folders and searches will take just a fraction of a second.

nrep

You should purchase the XenForo add-on Enhanced Search (aka ElasticSearch) for $45 dollars. That way you can easily include all your folders and searches will take just a fraction of a second.
Will this save on disk space, in comparison to using the XF search table? As that's my main reason for wanting to do this :).

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Indexed content needs to be saved somewhere - whether it's the database or elsewhere.

Essentially though, if your site is that large, standard MySQL search is going to struggle.

AndyB

Will this save on disk space, in comparison to using the XF search table? As that's my main reason for wanting to do this :).
There are three main reasons to use Enhanced Search:

1) Search speed
2) The ability to use stemming searches
3) Time to rebuild the index

Disk space is a non-issue.

Will I be able to Exclude Forums from the Search Index with enhanced search?