Everything is a remix: why Xenforo didn't copy vBulletin

Digital Doctor

ted.com.embrace.the.remix.webp

henry.ford.invented.nothing.new.webp

ted.blind.willie.mctell.webp

everything.is.a.remix.webp

huge.legal.fees.in.court.webp

Nothing is original, says Kirby Ferguson, creator of Everything is a Remix. From Bob Dylan to Steve Jobs, he says our most celebrated creators borrow, steal and transform.

Kirby Ferguson explores creativity in a world where "everything is a remix."

We are not self-made. We are dependent on one another. Admitting this to ourselves isn't an embrace of mediocrity and derivativeness, it's a liberation from our misconceptions.” (Kirby Ferguson)

TED.play.video.webp

Great video !

the funny thing is that even Bill Gates (while working as a freelancer for Apple many many years ago) was using some ideas of Apple for himself to start MSFT.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ha, I saw this. Steve Jobs is a total hypocrite.

Indeed, but he sure as hell knew how to remix multiple ideas and technologies to make great products. I believe in his autobiography he was even referred to as a tweaker due to his obsession with tweaking things until perfection.

Interesting video, added to my 'Remixes' playlist on YouTube :p

Apple Dating Game
Great video.
1983 was a simpler time than 2012. Good on Gates for participating. Hell would freeze over before something like that would happen now. This is another example of the world is going to hell (in a handbasket). Bring back the 80s !

Nothing? UBB is what vBulletin started from IIRC.
That's my point.
It would be easy to show that UBB was a remix of previous work, invalidating IB's claims against Xenforo. Hardly can you sue a competitor for copying you ... when your product is a mere copy.

Jobs wasn't just about making good products. He had the ability to define the market. He could actually dictate people's wants. It's a remarkable ability.

Example:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is the keynote where Jobs announced the partnership between Apple and Microsoft. You can see from the start that these are old skool die hard mac heads. They are proud, stubborn, and hate Microsoft with a passion. Over the course of 10 minutes Jobs completely changes their thinking.

Here is a very famous remix:

"When news of the polio vaccine's success was made public on April 12, 1955, Jonas Salk was hailed as a "miracle worker," and the day "almost became a national holiday." His sole focus had been to develop a safe and effective vaccine as rapidly as possible, with no interest in personal profit. When he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

I watched this video and the first thing I thought of was:
... What software is UBB.threads a derivative of ?

That's a trick question, Doc. :D UBB is the original style of linear discussion board we are used to, but if I recall it correctly, UBB Threads was a later offshoot that showed the messages in a "tree" view rather than the linear view we are familiar with. In fact, looking at my old vB 3.7 forum right now, there is an option to view threads in Linear Mode, Threaded Mode or a hybrid mode which is an awkward mashup of both.

UBB Threads actually "borrowed" their threaded discussion idea from old text-based forums such as wwwboard (of which WebBBS was an offshoot...a system I used for several years prior to going with a clone of UBB known as phpBB). And depending on the newsreader you used, Usenet posts also appeared in a threaded view. To be honest, I still do prefer a threaded view, as different points in a single conversation can veer off from the original topic. Just like this message does. :D But thanks to quoting of replies, it is still possible to keep track of different conversations within the threads.

TI still do prefer a threaded view, as different points in a single conversation can veer off from the original topic. Just like this message does. :D
I like threading too ... but usually as a tool for people to reply but that it doesn't wreck the flow of the *MAIN* conversation.

But thanks to quoting of replies, it is still possible to keep track of different conversations within the threads.
Indeed. but it doesn't feel the same as threading.

I've never seen a Killer UI for a threaded view.
I think the best would be that it is easy to create a Tangent thread from a current thread.

We are not self-made. We are dependent on one another. Admitting this to ourselves isn't an embrace of mediocrity and derivativeness, it's a liberation from our misconceptions.” (Kirby Ferguson)
I don't like the sound of this. It feels too radical, maybe it's not meant that way but it almost sounds political.

I'd say individuals learn and evolve from personal experience and other individuals. Sometimes they improve earlier ideas that in the past never developed to full potential. To use words like 'stealing' 'dependent' ' mediocrity' etc. is a very negative view on the power of the individual. I suspect he comes from a collectivistic background and it would not surprise me if it was meant as a form of propaganda. Call it conspiracy but that is my perception with of guy.

Regardless, I don't see how anyone could argue XenForo stole ideas from vB. There is nothing unique about vB that makes it different from other forum software. It's like saying a new bicycle shop called X stole the idea of selling bicycles from bicycle shop Y while all other bicycle shops Z do the exact same thing.

I am totally for the idea of remix. Life should be open to creativity and boundaries should be very very limited or if possible none

Top Bottom