XF 1.2 Even More New Stuff

Even a Sunday doesn't stop the new features coming in 1.2. However, this is likely to be the last HYS for XF 1.2, so take that as you wish. :)

User preference to disable Flash uploader
Some users have run into problems where Flash is enabled but Flash-based uploads would fail. Individual users can now turn off the Flash uploader even if the admin has enabled it.

Robot identification in online visitors
The online visitors lists now distinguishes guests from robots based on user agent and counts them separately.

When viewing the list of online users, robots will be displayed differently, showing you a bit of information about the robot. The online users list can now be filtered to just members, guests, or robots.

Command-line upgrader
For larger forums, particularly ones concerned with time outs from modifications to large tables, 1.2 adds a simple command-line-based upgrade system (library/XenForo/Install/run-upgrade.php).

Note that this doesn't handle replacing files. It simply substitutes running the <url>/install/ portion.

Attachment thumbnail rebuild
Attachment thumbnails can now be rebuild via Tools > Rebuild Caches. This is generally only needed if you change the attachment thumb size.

Per forum option to require a prefix
Individual forums can now require a prefix to be selected before a thread can be created. Note that this (intentionally) only applies to threads being created there. Moderators moving threads or taking similar actions are exempt.

Page nodes are searchable
If you have page nodes with content in them, they will now be indexed and displayed in search results. (Note that if you are upgrading, you will need to rebuild the page search index for them to become searchable.)

Sub-forum popup menu can be disabled
You can now use a style property to disable the sub-forum popup menu and simply display the forums in a small list below the forum.

ss-2013-06-02_10-25-30.webp

Quote height limited
There is now default CSS to prevent quotes from dominating messages by setting a max-height. Embedded media and images with the quotes will be further shrunk as well. Quoted images can still be clicked to be viewed full size.

Support for tabs on new content pages
For add-on developers, there is now a new system to add tabs to the top of new content pages (such as "new threads"). This will make it easier for users to find updates to non-thread/post content.

Quote height limited
There is now default CSS to prevent quotes from dominating messages by setting a max-height. Embedded media and images with the quotes will be further shrunk as well. Quoted images can still be clicked to be viewed full size.

I'd love to see this in action! Since members can't follow simple etiquette and quote ONLY the relevant parts of a previous post, this will be very handy. I will probably shrink those quotes down to show only a small handful of lines. Great feature!!

Will there be a way to view the entire quote (such as a "More..." link)? Or does it just clip off the quote?

There is a "more" link.

Even a Sunday doesn't stop the new features coming in 1.2. However, this is likely to be the last HYS for XF 1.2, so take that as you wish. :)

User preference to disable Flash uploader
Some users have run into problems where Flash is enabled but Flash-based uploads would fail. Individual users can now turn off the Flash uploader even if the admin has enabled it.

Robot identification in online visitors
The online visitors lists now distinguishes guests from robots based on user agent and counts them separately.

When viewing the list of online users, robots will be displayed differently, showing you a bit of information about the robot. The online users list can now be filtered to just members, guests, or robots.

Command-line upgrader
For larger forums, particularly ones concerned with time outs from modifications to large tables, 1.2 adds a simple command-line-based upgrade system (library/XenForo/Install/run-upgrade.php).

Note that this doesn't handle replacing files. It simply substitutes running the <url>/install/ portion.

Attachment thumbnail rebuild
Attachment thumbnails can now be rebuild via Tools > Rebuild Caches. This is generally only needed if you change the attachment thumb size.

Per forum option to require a prefix
Individual forums can now require a prefix to be selected before a thread can be created. Note that this (intentionally) only applies to threads being created there. Moderators moving threads or taking similar actions are exempt.

Page nodes are searchable
If you have page nodes with content in them, they will now be indexed and displayed in search results. (Note that if you are upgrading, you will need to rebuild the page search index for them to become searchable.)

You can now use a style property to disable the sub-forum popup menu and simply display the forums in a small list below the forum.

View attachment 47365

Quote height limited

Support for tabs on new content pages
For add-on developers, there is now a new system to add tabs to the top of new content pages (such as "new threads"). This will make it easier for users to find updates to non-thread/post content.

Or at least Mike said there was a way of expanding them I think.

Edit: Looks like it just overflows so you can scroll.

Or at least Mike said there was a way of expanding them I think.

Edit: Looks like it just overflows so you can scroll.

Hey I just noticed that too in another thread--the scrolling is perfect! (You beat me to it. :D )

And I'm hoping it starts nudging some of our worst offenders to trimming their quotes to the relevant part only. I've done that since my days as a CompuServe sysop (dating back to the early 1990s), which is why the lack of proper "netiquette" and quoting only what is relevant really bothers me so much. ;)

Hey I just noticed that too in another thread--the scrolling is perfect!

Hmmm...

HTML:
.bbCodeQuote blockquote {
font-style: italic;
font-size: 9pt;
background: #fff4e5 url('styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png') repeat-x top;
padding: 10px;
-webkit-border-radius: 4px;
-moz-border-radius: 4px;
-khtml-border-radius: 4px;
border-radius: 4px;
max-height: 200px;
overflow: auto;
}

I think I'll pinch those last two lines and give it a try on one of my forums... ;)

ss-2013-06-02_10-25-30-png.47365

I don't think we can thank you all enough for some of these additions!!!!

Command-line upgrader

Would be nice if this would work for installations too:cool: (just because of the laziness factor)

[offtopic]
You still need to type in the Admin details.
I would prefer to let my enviroment do this (via config paramers or config file)

If you have to run the installation process very often, all the waiting is getting boring:p

isn't
  • wget foo / git clone foo
  • call install script and type in the needed config parameters or set the config file path via parameter and that's it?:D
i mean this could even be combined with a custom bash script or even composer for a really automated and quick installation process

much better than
  • upload files
  • open browser,
  • call install, click on "begin installation"
  • Form => realize that the db doesn't exist
  • create the database(because xf isn't creating it automatically)
  • back to Form => type in the mysql data, click on "test & generate"
  • click on "continue"
  • click on "begin installation"
  • wait
  • some more waiting is required
  • wait
  • wait
  • admin setup form:
  • just another form (basic board setup):
  • enter board link apears........ huraaaaaaaaa finally finished:)
  • enter acp to finish all the settings
[/offtopic]

[offtopic]

I would prefer to let my enviroment do this (via config paramers or config file)

If you have to run the installation process very often, all the waiting is getting boring:p

isn't
  • wget foo / git clone foo
  • call install script and type in the needed config parameters or set the config file path via parameter and that's it?:D
i mean this could even be combined with a custom bash script or even composer for a really automated and quick installation process

much better than
  • upload files
  • open browser,
  • call install, click on "begin installation"
  • Form => realize that the db doesn't exist
  • create the database(because xf isn't creating it automatically)
  • back to Form => type in the mysql data, click on "test & generate"
  • click on "continue"
  • click on "begin installation"
  • wait
  • some more waiting is required
  • wait
  • wait
  • admin setup form:
  • just another form (basic board setup):
  • enter board link apears........ huraaaaaaaaa finally finished:)
  • enter acp to finish all the settings
[/offtopic]

Admin password is not encrypted. You will still have to create the XenForo database, type in all configuration data (just not in a form), wait (no, this is not exclusive to browser version of the install).

There were plenty of new features in XF 1.2. Major interface changes are usually reserved for platform (X.0.0) changes, to avoid major backwards compatibility. If you have a suggestion, you should post it in the suggestions forums.

Top Bottom