EU Cookie Law - Implementation per September 30

Bram

Guys how are you going to handle the new guidelines set by Google per September 15? The current default Xenforo notice doesn't seem to be sufficient anymore.

Dear Publisher,

We want to let you know about a new policy about obtaining EU end-users’ consent that reflects regulatory and best practice guidance. It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange.

Please review our new EU user consent policy as soon as possible. This requires that you obtain EU end users’ consent to the storing and accessing of cookies and other information, and to the data collection, sharing and usage that takes place when you use Google products. It does not affect any provisions on data ownership in your contract.

Please ensure that you comply with this policy as soon as possible, and not later than 30 September 2015.

If your site or app does not have a compliant consent mechanism, you should implement one now. To make this process easier for you, we have compiled some helpful resources at cookiechoices.org.

This policy change is being made in response to best practice and regulatory requirements issued by the European data protection authorities. These requirements are reflected in changes that have been recently made on Google’s own websites.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Regards,
The Google Policy Team

Last edited:
Why isn't it sufficient?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It seems fairly clear to me and the link takes you to an explanation of what cookies are used for. This even includes advertising which is basically what Google is on about in relation to Adsense.

Google Cookie Choices

I haven't seen anything to suggest it isn't sufficient. Bear in mind it's basically the same approach taken by most sites, including Google themselves; implied consent.

@Chris D what I have noticed is that many implied consent cookie messages do require the user to click OK to dismiss the message, it'll remain until the user does this. The XenForo cookie message only appears on the forum list when you first visit and not on subsequent pages.

With the new floating notices, maybe an option to make the cookie notice a floating one that remains until the user dismisses it would help to ensure that this fully complies?

The default cookie notice can be disabled. You could create a notice with the same content and add to it extra content or change the criteria.

There are some design issues that wouldn't really allow us to have it dismissible in its current form. The "default" notices (including things like the upgrade notice and cookie notice) aren't actually notices in the normal sense - they aren't stored in the database.

So it could be something that could be considered as a suggestion but really the workaround is to make the notice however you feel you need it to comply.

Fair enough. I had already considered creating a separate floating notice, it was just an idea as an option to the existing cookie notice if it was possible.

Currently I will continue to use the existing cookie notice until I'm told that it definitely doesn't comply with Google's requirements.

I have noticed is that many implied consent cookie messages do require the user to click OK to dismiss the message
I have noticed the same

Currently I will continue to use the existing cookie notice until I'm told that it definitely doesn't comply with Google's requirements.
That will be my approach as well. The current solution Xenforo offers imo is a reasonable one.

I'm changing mine to "Like every single website on the internet (that's not just a simple web page), we use cookies, deal with it" and the deal with it link is to the cookie info page which tells them how to disable cookies per their web browser.

I'm sure that'll suffice and be a bit tongue in cheek too so it doesn't feel so strict.

I hope that complies.

This is dumb. Did anyone else notice that Google today started displaying alerts for most of their sites? I've seen it 20+ times today already. I fear for the 30th :eek:

Anyone know of a greasemonkey script or another way to hide most of the cookie alerts?

Sometimes I think the EU doesn't really like the internet. What's this cookie law supposed to protect, anyway? People's uneducated fear of cookies?

They've done/are doing a few not so bad things also, in all fairness:
The EU is finally getting rid of roaming charges
EU net neutrality deal miraculously keeps everyone happy

Yeah, I think I changed mine to a ridiculously long thing. Gets the message across though...

Sometimes I think the EU doesn't really like the internet. What's this cookie law supposed to protect, anyway? People's uneducated fear of cookies?
The EU doesn't like anyone. Bureaucratic as anything. Filled with absolute idiocy right from their first policy. The only good part is the trade deals. Now they're trying to become a superpower, I think they're planning on an EU army. You have EU level laws. EU immigration problems. EU branches, European Parliament, European Commission, European Council, and all of it all over again for the Eurozone. Yeah... The EU is a joke.

Top Bottom