Cannot reproduce Error with Duplicate Post number in Thread

CivilWarTalk

Unfortunately, this is nightmarishly hard to debug after the fact, especially with a delete involved. It's not something I'm able to reproduce.

Can anyone reproduce this in anyway, perhaps with a delete? The bug fix referenced dealt with a race condition, which doesn't look to be applicable here.

I've been thinking about this... I wonder if the real issue is a duplicate post issue, perhaps during a server hiccup? Then when the mod deletes the post it messes up the numbering?

How do you end up with duplicate post anyway? Clicking twice on the "Post Reply" button?

So this morning I clicked "Show" on the deleted post, here is what I saw:

PS2.webp

So, logically, if you have post 7, then you reply adding two identical posts (by server error?) and give them the same ID (8), and then you delete the first duplicate, the system probably tried to fix the math and subtracted 1 from the second duplicate (8-1=7) so in the end all three posts have 7 as their ID.

Very weird. Or maybe it's more complicated than that.

I guess, the real issue is how did a duplicate punch with the same Post # happen?

What you think is a duplicate post is probably different than what the server thinks is a duplicate. 2 seconds apart wouldn't be a duplicate, and the flood check would normally prevent that.

The number on the deleted post is correct - they don't "count". The only way to get more information is to know what the numbers were before the delete.

What you think is a duplicate post is probably different than what the server thinks is a duplicate. 2 seconds apart wouldn't be a duplicate, and the flood check would normally prevent that.

The number on the deleted post is correct - they don't "count". The only way to get more information is to know what the numbers were before the delete.

Okay, got it, I'll alert my mods, if this happens again, they shouldn't delete it so we can look at it.

Here is what was reported to me...

The mod attempted to create a post, they clicked Post Reply and nothing happened, so they clicked it again after a few seconds passed, still no response. They then refreshed the screen and discovered two identical posts. It's like the server received the request to post, but never sent a response back to the browser, some kind of quirky issue.

Could this be that IE9 bug that was happening before on MyBB and IPB forums a while back. It caused havoc with creating duplicate posts and fixes was needed for it. Probably nothing to do with it at all, just wondering though if the poster uses IE9?

Top Bottom