XF 1.5 Error message on website

50right.com

Hi Xenforo - I have been most happy with the Xenforo forum software. Basically easy to use and very good looking.

Never had any problems with anything until now.

My domain fee and server fee are all paid in full.

Been getting this error message since this morning, which from perhaps a half hour of research on my part, seems like it might be a Xenforo bug or whatever, but I'm not sure. If someone could guide me in the right direction to get this fixed, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you...and the error message is pasted below.

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/50right.com/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 185

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/50right.com/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 192
An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.

This is the second report of this I have seen this morning.

I suspect a general update was rolled out by the host and it is affecting XF1 sites.

XF1 is no longer developed nor supported so we would recommend upgrading to XF2.

You can also contact your host and ask them to change the PHP version to 5.6, which should work (depending on the exact version of 1.5 you are running).

This is the second report of this I have seen this morning.

I suspect a general update was rolled out by the host and it is affecting XF1 sites.

XF1 is no longer developed nor supported so we would recommend upgrading to XF2.

You can also contact your host and ask them to change the PHP version to 5.6, which should work (depending on the exact version of 1.5 you are running).

Thank you for the reply. I will contact the host.

In a nutshell, what is involved in upgrading to XF2 as far as the cost and time performing the upgrade?

Will the upgrade "automatically" fix this current problem, or does the host need to be contacted first, get it up and running from their end with XF1 as is now, and then the XF1 can be upgraded to XF2?

I'll wait for your replay.

Thanks again!

Steve

Hi Brogan - Your analysis and solution was perfect. We are back up. Thank you VERY much!

Moving forward, I switched the PHP from 7.4.18 to 5.6. However the host stated that the PHP 5.6 is being deprecated, and basically eliminated soon.

I'm presuming your XF2 will work fine with the PHP 7.4.18, right?

I guess I could peruse your website and find it, but what is the cost of the upgrade to XF2? I just want the basic upgrade, nothing fancy.

As far as the installation, I couldn't figure out to install the XF1 so i hired someone. I'll have to dig up his name, he posts on this forum, he was absolutely outstanding. I'll just hire him again to do the upgrade. Or if he's not around any longer, is there someone recommended to do it?

I'll wait to hear back from you, and thanks again!

Steve

If you have an existing license, you get access to XF2 for USD 55. More details here: https://xenforo.com/purchase/

XF2.2 works fine with PHP8 as well! XenForo seems to recommend PHP8 now. Though XF2 should work on 7.x based on the same link above!

Do remember that XF1 themes and addons are not compatible with XF2 so it is a pretty massive upgrade. You would have to start from scratch. Find updated versions of themes and addons that work on XF2 assuming developers are still around.

I'm presuming your XF2 will work fine with the PHP 7.4.18, right?
Yes, although we recommend using the latest stable version of PHP 8 if possible.

We have an upgrade service which costs $50, but it does only cover a vanilla upgrade of XF software and official add-ons.
It wouldn't cover any work required to get third party add-ons, styles, languages, etc. upgraded.

As above, it's a major upgrade: https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/install-upgrade/#upgrading-from-xenforo-1

argh. i could have worded it better. what i was trying to say was that he should have access to his existing license for the domain his forum is running. but then since this is the customer forums so he is definitely logged from the account which is associated with an existing license.

to make things clearer... USD 55 gets you 12 months of access to new updates including all the existing builds of XenForo including XF 2.0/2.1/2.2. 😁

Admittedly, I get the very nice upgrade emails from you guys, but i've never done it mainly because i was completely satisfied with what I have. It never crossed my mind about obsolescence, but it should have - my mistake.

I've never done any add-ons or anything else that i can recall. The only thing i ever considered was more emojis, but i never got around to doing it.

I had no idea what a PHP is and frankly, don't need to know as long as the website works. Brogan called it right that SiteGround must have updated the PHP hence the problem this morning. Thankfully there was still the ability for me to manually switch it back to 5.6 at this time.

I will be doing the upgrade, and i'll email MySiteGuy or the guy i used before to install it.

I think this is one last question if i may. Most of the posts on my forum are taking a news story from the internet such as Fox, CNN, Yahoo, etc, posting the link with a paragraph or two, and then posting comments. In your opinions, will those posts migrate properly with the links, from the XF1 to the XF2? I realize there could be variables beyond our control when doing this.

Thanks again, and I'll wait for your reply.

Steve

content would migrate just fine. xenforo 2 has some great news for you. you get all the emojis! well most as the absolute latest ones are usually not supported. and it has a cool new feature that renders link in a more visual way like you might have seen already here. here is an example just in case.

you can go through the posts here to see what all has been added in last couple of years!

Following up on this - I sent the server the below message:

Recently my website went down. I fixed it by changing the PHP from 7.4.18 to 5.6. The forum software company recommended i do that, and it worked. The website came back up. But your website said that the 5.6 will soon not be usable. How do i move forward with this? Is the website software I'm now using going obsolete? Do i need to simply upgrade the website software which is available from Xenforo? Thanks for your help.

Server's response:

In order for your site to be compatible with 7.4 you'd need to actually optimise it. This is done by a developer who will be able to review the code of the site and make sure that it's using methods and syntax that is available on PHP 7.4

- - - - - - - - -

I just want to make sure before going thru all the time and expense, that the upgrade will do the job on this, or do i need to do something else with Xenforo to be compatible with this higher number PHP thing?

Thank you very much - always appreciate the great help.

Steve

If possible, I recommend upgrading to PHP 7.0 in the interim.

XF 1.5 won't work with PHP 7.4. The XF 2.2 installer won't work if you're using PHP 5.6 so PHP 7.0 is the happy medium. It will work flawlessly with XF 1.5.8 (which is the version you're using) and the latest version of XF 2.2.

Once you have upgraded to XF 2.2 you can then upgrade to PHP 7.4 or, ideally, PHP 8.0.

If your hosts are not able to provide PHP 7.0 then you will need to plan your upgrade and have your host switch to PHP 7.4 before you start the process of upgrading.

Top Bottom