Cannot reproduce Error in timezone selection

The registration page tries to guess your timezone based on your computer's settings. I will check to see what's if it's trying to use that over what you've selected. Unfortunately, it's not possible to necessarily guess 100% correctly because we don't have enough information and there are many timezones that are roughly identical.

The registration page tries to guess your timezone based on your computer's settings. I will check to see what's if it's trying to use that over what you've selected. Unfortunately, it's not possible to necessarily guess 100% correctly because we don't have enough information and there are many timezones that are roughly identical.

Thank you Mike, can I set manually the registration page timezone?

Another option would be if XenForo determined the timezone based on the user's geographical location (the geoip extension has a function for doing just that). Of course not every PHP install is going to have the geoip extensions, but for the ones that do, it would be cool.

Off the top of my head...

PHP:
if (function_exists('geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region'))
{
	$timeZone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(@geoip_country_code_by_name($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']), @geoip_region_by_name($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']));
}

Of course you could make it a little fancier, like use the browser detection method if they don't have geoip extensions or if it can't determine the exact region.

Thank you Mike, can I set manually the registration page timezone?

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> register_form

Remove the red code:

Rich (BB code):
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt><label for="ctrl_timezone">{xen:phrase time_zone}:</label></dt>
		<dd>
			<select name="timezone" class="textCtrl {xen:if $fields.timezoneAuto, 'AutoTimeZone'} OptOut" id="ctrl_timezone">
				<xen:foreach loop="$timeZones" key="$identifier" value="$name">
					<option value="{$identifier}" {xen:selected "{$identifier} == {$fields.timezone}"}>{$name}</option>
				</xen:foreach>
			</select>
		</dd>
	</dl>

Then it will use the guest timezone you set in the Admin CP.

If I set my time zone in Windows to CET, I get that picked correctly. West Central Africa time should be used if you don't follow DST though.

What browser and OS are you using?

Just checked with someone on OS X Lion and they couldn't reproduce it in Safari/Chrome (they're set to CET in Amsterdam). What's your specific OS X TZ setting?

Can you try in Firefox?

Can anyone else reproduce this?

I checked on my iMac, with Chrome/Safari; Can't reproduce.​
I checked on the Mac Pro server, with C/S; Can't reproduce.​
Both were on Lion.​
I checked with older versions of Safari and Chrome on Snow Leopard on a Mac Book Pro at a different provider, which never visited xenforo sites, and here, xenfans, and another site, can't reproduce.​
Can you confirm that you also have this problem on XenForo.com here and not just your own forum?​
Which version of PHP are you using where this happens? If it's pre 5.4, has the timezone been set manually in the php configuration file?​
When you go to mrfloris.com/tz and load it, then copy the source code and put a temporary .html file on your own server and load that. Then compare the results, are they any different (except from say, a minute has passed)?​

Top Bottom