XF 1.4 Entering text in quickreply field is really slow

Arno Nühm

First: I tried default style - same problem. I disabled any AddOn that could be responsible - same problem.

I guess it may be any setting/option I forgot or added a wrong value?

A lot of users in my forum are complaining about scrolling being really slow and most important entering text in the quick reply field below any thread page is really slow. While they enter text it shows up after a moment, not in real time.

Any hint / any idea?

This is typically going to be add-on or style related.

Test with all add-ons disabled in a completely default unedited style, including removing any custom JS (e.g. for adverts).

I did some more testing now.

If I disable ALL add-ons in AdminCP it is a little bit faster, but still slow.

BUT if I paste in this line
Code:
$config['enableListeners'] = false;
into config.php then it IS fast.

What does that mean? If I have already disabled all (!) add-ons in AdminCP, why does this not have the same effect than using this line in config.php?

And where could be the problem?

I really need help with this, please.

I found this thread. There is a guess that it might be an eMail related problem.

I have the same issue in my testforum where is
Code:
$config['enableMail'] = false;
email disabled.

So that could not be the problem.

The client CPU load is also very high, at least if using Firefox. Mobile users complained that their battery gets low very fast while using our forum.

Some more testing finished now.

If I do a fresh reload of the thread page (SHIFT+F5), then entering of text is NOT slow.
If I just do a normal reload of the thread page (F5), then entering of IS slow.

Might be a hint?

Edit: Forget it. Only worked for a while. Now it is always slow again, no matter how you reload the page. There is also no difference if AddOns are disabled or enabled.

Last edited:
I recorded my screen now. Maybe someone can finally help me.. :-(

On our standard UI.X style:
https://vid.me/q9MA

On default Xenforo style:
https://vid.me/ezsh

As you can see its both slow at the beginning. All I am doing then is to mark all text and start typing (fast) again. I did this many times now and on the third try it is fast on UI.X and on Xenforo Default style.

So what might be the reason? All AddOns disabled. E-Mail functions disabled in config.php.

Why is it fast after two times mark all text and type again, without any page reload?

I've posted tens of thousands of messages in XF using Redactor, on many different sites and I've never encountered it.

It has to be something specific to your site/browser/other combination.

It has to be something specific to your site/browser/other combination.
Yes, for me and for all the other guys (like here) and all their users with exactly the same problem.

Anyhow, maybe someone can help me (and all the other guys).

On our standard UI.X style:
https://vid.me/q9MA

On default Xenforo style:
https://vid.me/ezsh

As you can see its both slow at the beginning. All I am doing then is to mark all text and start typing (fast) again. I did this many times now and on the third try it is fast on UI.X and on Xenforo Default style.

I asked some of our users with this problem to also try this way. Same results! If they mark the text using strg+a like described above they can type without delay.

@Brogan
I hate to disagree but sadly I have to. I have attempted to describe why in my own thread on this subject
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/redactor-responding-slowly-to-typed-text.94204/

It seems to be
a) related purely to Redactor
b) very dependent on machine speed
c) and very dependent on what the machine is otherwise up to, including demands being placed on it by the web page.

It's not directly site specific; I can make it happen here in the right (wrong?) circumstances.

Its severity will depend on an accumulation of factors; I suspect it's always actually present, but given a fast machine (primarily) it will be imperceptible. When the factors accumulate together, it renders the site close to unusable.

If a user disables "Rich Text Editor" in his account preferences then there is no delay in the quick reply box anymore. But of course there are no more "Rich Text Editor"-possibilities.

So I guess it has to be something with this "Rich Text Editor"?

but given a fast machine (primarily) it will be imperceptible
It might be related to available memory. I had problems on XenForo with my laptop ; 8go on a win7 32bits (... backup from an old system) + memory shared with the graphic card => available memory: 2.48 ; once the OS & the browser loaded with its extensions, it didn't remain a lot and the editor was lagging while typing on FF and sometimes it freezed my browser. Then I found a small tool to use my 8Go on a 32 bits OS and the problems were gone. But this issue might also come from a browser extension that doesn't work well with the RTE and creates a memory leak. One more thing, the tests should not be done with the browser console; for example Firebug uses a lot memory and can create serious lags.

Anyone found a fix for this? Some of our forum users are experiencing really delayed typing which is stopping them from using our forum. It works fine on my iPad and desktop, but many people are experiencing the problem on various devices.

Member on my forum are reporting this issue with UI.X. They try the default stock style and say but improves but they still have the issue.

I can't for the lift of me replicate it on any machine or mobile device using any browser. So I'm struggling to troubleshoot.

I've spotted a few people with the issue in the UI.X discussion thread but it seems there are a few people with the stock style having the problem too so I'm not sure if it's style related now or what. :-/

Reports have generally been with custom styles (or with non-standard things on the page, such as ads), so it's hard to debug in those cases. There are some references to the default style (though I don't know if that means 100% default, no add-ons, etc), but given that they're seemingly few and far between, it could be down to specific environmental issues (other things using the CPU, browser add-ons, etc).

Yeah I'm trying to find a common browser or machine or whatever but I can't seem to. Seems pretty random. But for the people it's happening on, it's happening all the time with any style with or without add-ons. I'm assuming it's their system but I daren't suggest that alone.

I tend to find people start reporting their central heating not working as a result of me changing the forum when I do change anything. They seem to be able to find related issues with kettles, microwaves and all sorts sometimes haha

Top Bottom