Enjoy a limited number of articles over the next 30 days - Subscribe for full access

Digital Doctor

I've seen a real trend where online Newspapers will try to get article viewers to subscribe if they are repeat visitors.

limited.access.for.repeat.visitors.webp

Has anyone done something similar to encourage either sign ups or paid memberships ?

DEMO

I think forums already do this - guests have limits on how much they can view.
Especially the option to view a title but not open and read unless a member.

Most newspaper sites are going to this model. I don't see how it could be successful.
It's not because the paywall is coded with the poorest code in the world. I've been using custom cookie handling and changing the referrers to read them for free for the last three years. I'm not going to pay $15-20 a month for journalism that has sunk so low that it's of the same quality you'd get from the Daily Mail or The Sun.

Most newspaper sites are going to this model. I don't see how it could be successful.

Most newspapers are on the same career path as dinosaurs.

I do a lot of blogging that relies on access to current news items. For every print paper that does this, there are several others that don't, as well as broadcast & network media websites that avoid that game entirely.

It's not because the paywall is coded with the poorest code in the world. I've been using custom cookie handling and changing the referrers to read them for free for the last three years. I'm not going to pay $15-20 a month for journalism that has sunk so low that it's of the same quality you'd get from the Daily Mail or The Sun.

So you're saying that you steal this content, but it's not worth the money for such low quality journalism... but it's exactly what you want to read? Sounds like it's exactly the type and quality of journalism you do in fact like.

A simple Ctrl-Shift-N in Chrome allows me to bypass a "limited number of article" limit, as well as some sites blocking content to unregistered users.

Top Bottom