Enhanced GDPR for XenForo 1 [Deleted]

I have the addon installed at Cameraderie.org, and it doesn't seem to work for guests, only for members. We'd also need EU guests to also opt in to personalized ads, etc.

I have the addon installed at Cameraderie.org, and it doesn't seem to work for guests, only for members. We'd also need EU guests to also opt in to personalized ads, etc.

This is as intended as showing it to guests would stop crawlers etc visiting your site.

Doesn't that make me out of compliance if I am showing ads that use cookies to guests?

You will need a way is displaying non-personalized ads or, have a way for them to opt out of personalized ads. Adsense for example is providing an option to turn it off.

Even non personalized Adsense ads use cookies.

Cookies are okay under the law so long as they are not connected to personally identifiable information. Google has said they will use them for non-personalized ads for things such as limiting the number of times a user sees a certain ad.

What I've read is that any cookies that are not mandatory for the website’s functionality have to be an explicit opt in.

If it contains personally identifiable information in it. A cookie which simply tracks how many times a user has seen an ad would not be considered personal as its just a counter.

As Steve mentioned.

Explicit consent logging, information for the end users on what it means for them, and site specific information drawn from the service provided in 1).

As far as I understood the GDPR requuiremenst, these information have to be provided by the forum by default. This is not an option. It is mandatory. Straing in 25 days. I wonder why this is not added by xenforo in the core for XF1.5x, since it is a legal requirement.

Regarding the unsubscribe link at the end of the newsletter now also available fpr XF1.5x with this addon: Will it work exactly the same way as in XF2.x, so that there is no need to login to unsubscribe?

I think you mean https://ico.org.uk/

As far your statement about cookies goes, though, I couldn't find anything specific there to support it. Technically the cookies used for non-personalized Adsense ads could be used as one data point in tracking a person. Even the concept of marking someone so as to not show them the same ad twice is a limited form of personalization.

From what I can tell, the ICO has remained vague about what sort of cookies need opt in and what sort don't. The GDPR regulations don't specify. Google has introduced non-personalized Adsense ads in response to the GDPR but has been mum about whether opt in remains necessary when implementing them.

I think we'll receive further guidance about this in the near future. In the meanwhile, I think it's very unlikely that any of us get dinged for using non-personalized ads without opt in when it's unclear whether that is disallowed.

Top Bottom