XF 1.2 Enable Manual Approval being bypassed?

SWS Solutions

Am I doing something wrong? I have the following setting enabled:

Enable Email Confirmation
Enable Manual Approval

Yet, the forum is still allowing certain users to register with a state of 'Valid' without requiring manual approval, yet when I register a test account myself, it is placed in the moderation que.

Rather embarrassing first post :(

It seems these where dormant registrations that just so happened to register 1 year ago today in VB4 and not actually new XenForo!
I just didn't spot the 2012 instead of 2013 registration dates when they started posting.

Rather embarrassing first post :(

It seems these where dormant registrations that just so happened to register 1 year ago today in VB4 and not actually new XenForo!
I just didn't spot the 2012 instead of 2013 registration dates when they started posting.
Don't feel embarrassed.

This is actually very common for people when they first import to XenForo. Spam bots who made it in via vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, ect.... Usually wait in the dark and come when you least expect them.

And some of those "better spam bots" (for a lack of a better word), monitor a site and wait for changes. The idea is when you redesign your site or in this case, change software... Most people wanting to show off, send out a notice to tell them members of all the cool new things. And what better time for a spammer to hit your site when everyone is visiting.

So this is not uncommon to see suddenly all the people who had sneaked in before, suddenly show their true colors when you change over. The important thing is XenForo has the power to help keep them out and so this should soon be a thing of the past.

Top Bottom