Fixed Emojis show all, but emoji search is limited to 20

stromb0li

Affected version
XF 2.2/2.3
Can you please allow all emoji's to be returned instead of limiting to 20? Limiting to 20 can make it a challenge to find the emoji I'm looking forward when multiple other emoji's exist with the same name prefix (i.e. searching for US flag is impossible).

I didn't necessarily mean bug report ;)

I'm not sure it's a bug or whether we'd be changing this.

Worth noting searching for "united states" brings up the USA flag. Sometimes your search will just need to be more specific.

My main concern is that I would expect that certain two character sequences (the minimum search length) might actually return a heck of results which may not be desirable.

We'll leave this open for further consideration/discussion for now.

My main concern is that I would expect that certain two character sequences (the minimum search length) might actually return a heck of results which may not be desirable.
If we are already returning the full list of emoji's by default, how is it any different not limiting the search?

We only load all emojis once, and even then, they're not all loaded, we lazy load them as they pop into view.

A search would do a round trip to the server, fetch all of the relevant emoji, and it potentially does that as you type each character. I don't think (as it stands) we support lazy loading for the results so each time the results are returned, it would probably load all of them, and if that's more than 100 then it's probably not going to be the best experience.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.3.0 Beta 6).

Change log:
Increase limit of emojis returned in the editor search significantly.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom