Embedding Video Content in Forum Post

DD-Adam

Howdy,

We have a very popular website in which we embed videos (using flowplayer) for our users. We are looking at installing XenForo to give the community a place to discuss the video content. What we'd want to do is create a new forum thread and embed the video in the thread and provide that thread as a place to discuss the content.

If I've read the information correctly, it doesn't look like XenForo supports this (as it doesn't support HTML code in a forum post). Is that correct? Are there any plugins that would allow me to insert HTML / Javascript code (embedded video script) to accomplish this?

edit: This for an adult site.....

Thanks in advance!
Adam

I believe there is one add-on which allows HTML to be posted.

Otherwise you could have a custom add-on created which would allow videos to be uploaded and embedded.

Howdy,

We have a very popular website in which we embed videos (using flowplayer) for our users. We are looking at installing XenForo to give the community a place to discuss the video content. What we'd want to do is create a new forum thread and embed the video in the thread and provide that thread as a place to discuss the content.

If I've read the information correctly, it doesn't look like XenForo supports this (as it doesn't support HTML code in a forum post). Is that correct? Are there any plugins that would allow me to insert HTML / Javascript code (embedded video script) to accomplish this?

edit: This for an adult site.....

Thanks in advance!
Adam
There is a permission based HTML bbcode but in this case you probably should see if you could accomplish it a different way simply because it will not allow you to setup flowplayer with the best configuration and if you enter that data as an html+ js string and later need to update fp...you may have to do post replacements across your entire board or manually change each post with a video in it.

With flowplayer you probably wouldn't want to include the js for each video, rather setup a global config for all players with class name X once. You could create a bbcode which utilizes flowplayer for locally hosted videos but this assumes you are the only one uploading videos (via ftp or whatever).

If you want to upload videos + embed you would need a custom addon for that as I don't think one exists.

Last edited:
If it's similar to embedding YT videos then you may be able to create a custom media bb code.

Guess I'll need to dig in to the hosted demo and see what I can make of it.

I know an earlier post mentioned an add on but it looks like you have to be a licensed customer to use/try them. Guess I can't test that either.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-parse-html-bbcode.3546/

Frustrating.

Guess I'll need to dig in to the hosted demo and see what I can make of it.

I know an earlier post mentioned an add on but it looks like you have to be a licensed customer to use/try them. Guess I can't test that either.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-parse-html-bbcode.3546/

Frustrating.

It definitely can be made into a bbcode, that is actually one of the first things I ever did when I first jumped on board at xf .

Note that in the demo you could create a bbcode (that doesn't need a php callback) but you can not install an addon (even if you were already licensed) as you have no way to upload files (this I would assume is a security measure).

If you end up purchasing a XF license feel free to shoot me a msg as I have been meaning to do something with the newest FP builds as a lot has changed around the flowplayer scene since I made that original bbcode and it would give me a reason to rewrite things.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies and ideas. I've gone ahead and purchased a XF license and I'm going to try the plugin method first. If that doesn't work, I'll reach out to you @EQnoble.

Adam
Congrats on the purchase, your server will thank you :) Just throw a msg to my inbox if that method doesn't pan out for you and it will go in my immediate todo list.

So to close the loop on this, ended up purchasing the ******* ParseHTML/BBcode plug in and aside from an installation issue, it worked PERFECTLY and did EXACTLY what I wanted it to do.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and assistance!

What i don't understand is. Why did you need the parsehtml add-on.

Wouldn't it be easier to just create a BB Code Media Site. Then all you need to paste in the thread is the link to the video and not the html embed codes.

As far as i can remember. Isnt it dangerous to give members html access?

Capture.webp

What i don't understand is. Why did you need the parsehtml add-on.

Wouldn't it be easier to just create a BB Code Media Site. Then all you need to paste in the thread is the link to the video and not the html embed codes.

As far as i can remember. Isnt it dangerous to give members html access?

View attachment 96875

The issue is that we're posting content from a few different content providers who are providing us with embedded media and they do it from a few different methods. Some use a javascript to load flowplayer, some simply provide an embedded iFrame call.

The users don't have access to the plug in, this is just for our admins to use.

That is direct video uploading - the video is uploaded to the site directly.

Embedding is when you use a bb code to embed content from somewhere like YouTube, etc.
If you want to embed from a site which doesn't have a built in bb code, you would need to create a new one or use an add-on.

Top Bottom