• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Embedding Video Content in Forum Post

Howdy,

We have a very popular website in which we embed videos (using flowplayer) for our users. We are looking at installing XenForo to give the community a place to discuss the video content. What we'd want to do is create a new forum thread and embed the video in the thread and provide that thread as a place to discuss the content.

If I've read the information correctly, it doesn't look like XenForo supports this (as it doesn't support HTML code in a forum post). Is that correct? Are there any plugins that would allow me to insert HTML / Javascript code (embedded video script) to accomplish this?

edit: This for an adult site.....

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I believe there is one add-on which allows HTML to be posted.

Otherwise you could have a custom add-on created which would allow videos to be uploaded and embedded.

EQnoble

Howdy,

We have a very popular website in which we embed videos (using flowplayer) for our users. We are looking at installing XenForo to give the community a place to discuss the video content. What we'd want to do is create a new forum thread and embed the video in the thread and provide that thread as a place to discuss the content.

If I've read the information correctly, it doesn't look like XenForo supports this (as it doesn't support HTML code in a forum post). Is that correct? Are there any plugins that would allow me to insert HTML / Javascript code (embedded video script) to accomplish this?

edit: This for an adult site.....

Thanks in advance!
Adam
There is a permission based HTML bbcode but in this case you probably should see if you could accomplish it a different way simply because it will not allow you to setup flowplayer with the best configuration and if you enter that data as an html+ js string and later need to update fp...you may have to do post replacements across your entire board or manually change each post with a video in it.

With flowplayer you probably wouldn't want to include the js for each video, rather setup a global config for all players with class name X once. You could create a bbcode which utilizes flowplayer for locally hosted videos but this assumes you are the only one uploading videos (via ftp or whatever).

If you want to upload videos + embed you would need a custom addon for that as I don't think one exists.

Last edited:
Appreciate the two responses. These are all hosted/embedded videos that are provided by the content providers. I simply use a javascript embed they provide.

EQnoble

Guess I'll need to dig in to the hosted demo and see what I can make of it.

I know an earlier post mentioned an add on but it looks like you have to be a licensed customer to use/try them. Guess I can't test that either.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-parse-html-bbcode.3546/

Frustrating.
It definitely can be made into a bbcode, that is actually one of the first things I ever did when I first jumped on board at xf .

Note that in the demo you could create a bbcode (that doesn't need a php callback) but you can not install an addon (even if you were already licensed) as you have no way to upload files (this I would assume is a security measure).

If you end up purchasing a XF license feel free to shoot me a msg as I have been meaning to do something with the newest FP builds as a lot has changed around the flowplayer scene since I made that original bbcode and it would give me a reason to rewrite things.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies and ideas. I've gone ahead and purchased a XF license and I'm going to try the plugin method first. If that doesn't work, I'll reach out to you @EQnoble.

Adam

EQnoble

Thanks everyone for all of your replies and ideas. I've gone ahead and purchased a XF license and I'm going to try the plugin method first. If that doesn't work, I'll reach out to you @EQnoble.

Adam
Congrats on the purchase, your server will thank you :) Just throw a msg to my inbox if that method doesn't pan out for you and it will go in my immediate todo list.

What i don't understand is. Why did you need the parsehtml add-on.

Wouldn't it be easier to just create a BB Code Media Site. Then all you need to paste in the thread is the link to the video and not the html embed codes.

As far as i can remember. Isnt it dangerous to give members html access?

Capture.PNG

What i don't understand is. Why did you need the parsehtml add-on.

Wouldn't it be easier to just create a BB Code Media Site. Then all you need to paste in the thread is the link to the video and not the html embed codes.

As far as i can remember. Isnt it dangerous to give members html access?

View attachment 96875
The issue is that we're posting content from a few different content providers who are providing us with embedded media and they do it from a few different methods. Some use a javascript to load flowplayer, some simply provide an embedded iFrame call.

The users don't have access to the plug in, this is just for our admins to use.