XF 2.1 Email users - Successful (26k users) but send out 500?

Skyrider

I'm using gmail to send out a newsletter by using XF's mail user option. Xenforo said it successfully mailed over 26.000 members, yet when I check the mail only around 500 has been send out.. Is this normal? And if the mails are being send out too quickly, how do I batch/limit it?

I'm using gmail to send out a newsletter by using XF's mail user option. Xenforo said it successfully mailed over 26.000 members, yet when I check the mail only around 500 has been send out.. Is this normal? And if the mails are being send out too quickly, how do I batch/limit it?

Don't use Gmail. It's not designed for mass mailing and it is capped daily.

Yup, noticed it after googling it 5min after I made this post. Any reason why there is no batching function in xenforo? Like a Cron tool. Send xx every hour / day.

Yup, noticed it after googling it 5min after I made this post. Any reason why there is no batching function in xenforo? Like a Cron tool. Send xx every hour / day.
Typically, big boards or any mass mailing going out, is done through a 3rd party mailing service (i.e. https://aws.amazon.com/ses/) (After validating the target addresses first, of course.) I wouldn't process that many emails through your own server, much less gmail.

26,000 would take like 52 days? A tad impractical.

Also sending 26,000 emails when you normally send 200-1000 a day is going to set of the spam alarm bells with every major email provider.

Well, I could use Mailtrain to spread it over a few days. But even so, there's no XF addons for it so unsubscribe mails that are normally send out by the XF software is useless on that regard. I really wish there was options regarding mass emails, as I feel it's quite lacking.

Well, I could use Mailtrain to spread it over a few days. But even so, there's no XF addons for it so unsubscribe mails that are normally send out by the XF software is useless on that regard. I really wish there was options regarding mass emails, as I feel it's quite lacking.

You really don't need this if using a third party relay like SES, Mailgun, Mandrill, Sendgrid etc. Your email is throttled and queued up at the relay as per their standards and typically will let you blast them out in no time. There was an addon that gave you some queuing capabilities for XF1 not sure if it's there for XF2 but again all of this can be handled much better with a relay rather than exposing your server to all the perils of email delivery.

Currently using mailtrain to do it for me.. but I still receive random Xenforo error messages on the admin panel regarding the emails. I assume these old emails are still set as a cronjob of some kind?

• Swift_TransportException: Email to xx@xx.co.uk failed: Unable to send mail.
  • src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php:295

And for some odd reason xf_mail_queue is 1GB in size.. can I clear this?

I no longer use XF to send the mails.. so..

Run your own mailserver and turn on/off smart host when you are doing a big email blast? The mailserver would be doing the brunt of the work.

Could you explain that in simpler terms for those of us that know nothing about mailservers?

I have just recently migrated my vB 3.8 site to XF 2.1 and I wanted to send an email to my members to let them know. So i sent the notice with the XF email feature. ~5,000 emails. I think Yahoo quarantined at least 500 of them. I'm pretty sure it's because they were sent too quickly.

Could you explain that in simpler terms for those of us that know nothing about mailservers?

I have just recently migrated my vB 3.8 site to XF 2.1 and I wanted to send an email to my members to let them know. So i sent the notice with the XF email feature. ~5,000 emails. I think Yahoo quarantined at least 500 of them. I'm pretty sure it's because they were sent too quickly.
A smart host is somebody like sendgrid or postmarkapp.

The issue you have is your going from 0 volume to significantly more. Ie doing 200 emails a week to 5000 in a day!

A mailserver should "recieve" all your emails from your server then slowly trickle the emails out over the day. A bit like a buffer or queue...

Top Bottom