XF 1.1 Email Transport Method Explanation

Hello,

I don't think I grasp the concept of the default Email Transport Method in Xenforo. I read the manual entry for it, but my question remains. Does selecting this method bypass any outgoing e-mail limitations set by my host? If not, what method does it use and how did it get the credentials for the e-mail address I entered earlier on that settings page? Is it really 'spoofing' that e-mail?

Thanks for your patience.

- Greg

PHP on your server has its own mail configuration. Selecting the default method will use that mail configuration in PHP. It still uses the Default Email Address as the "from" address for all outgoing emails. Spoofing... yeah basically. It is not authenticating the "from" address against the mail server if that's what you mean, but I have seen some hosts impose restrictions on the "from" address such as it must use the same domain name as your web site or outgoing emails will fail.

There can still be outgoing email limits imposed by your host. The default method is subject to the email limits of your web host whereas the SMTP method is subject to the limits of whatever SMTP server you specify.

Top Bottom