XF 1.2 Email Options Setup

TheSalt

Hello All!

I'm 100% sure this info is out there but I cant find it all. I keep ending up HERE and that info hasn't helped. I'm wondering if there is any update info on outgoing mail as that thread is almost 4 years old? I'm using shared hosting at godaddy. Last night I set up an email and registered the domain with gmail but I still haven't figured it out. To be complete honest I have no idea what I'm doing and could really use an idiots guide to set this up. Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

Nick
www.californiareefs.com

Last edited:
It should be like this and I have had it working this way since I installed XF

Gmail Account

View attachment 70921

XF Mail Settings

View attachment 70922

AAAHHH! I cant stay out of my own way!

So this worked! I did a test via 'email users' and 'send test email'. The problem is I noticed it went to my admin profile email (not really a problem). I know (now) that is were the test is supposed to go. I just didn't realize that was the email I was using because I changed it yesterday in one of a million attempts. I messed it all up somehow. I changed my admin account email and now it doesn't work. I did nothing to the "mail option", I only change my profile email address.

I double checked to make sure nothing changed on the "mail option" but it was perfect. So I changed my profile email address back and it still doesn't work! I have no idea what I did... Feeling like a big DUMB animal. Thank you for whatever help you can offer. :sick:

Here is the error I got:
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Connection refused - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Salty, 7 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://smtp.gmai...')
#1 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(998): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(898): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->_sendEmail(Array, Array, Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#6 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionEmailSend()
#7 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/thesalt/public_html/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(57) "http://www.californiareefs.com/admin.php?users/email-send"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["users/email-send"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(10) {
["test"] => string(15) "Send Test Email"
["criteria"] => string(68) "{"receive_admin_email":"1","user_state":["valid"],"is_banned":["0"]}"
["total"] => string(2) "41"
["from_name"] => string(16) "California Reefs"
["from_email"] => string(29) "webmaster@californiareefs.com"
["email_title"] => string(4) "Test"
["email_format"] => string(4) "text"
["email_body"] => string(22) "sfsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsf"
["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
}
}

Last edited:
I can't remember for sure... but I think that if you use gmail to relay then the address in default email address had to be the same as the SMTP authentication address. It's been a LONG time ago since I used this function so I may be wrong.

Is there any reason why you don't want to use the default?
That is what we generally recommend.

You can still use Gmail with that via Google Apps.

From what it looks like, he's not using Google Apps (at least what I consider Google Apps where you have them host your domain) since he has a @gmail.com extension.
With Google Apps you can set (easily) postfix to perform the relay to it.

EDIT:
On a shared hosting it would probably work - but again it's been a while since I messed with a shared hosting provider.

Is there any reason why you don't want to use the default?
That is what we generally recommend.

For some reason it wasn't working. I tried the "email users" and did the test email and it never made it to my box not even spam.

Top Bottom