1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Email Options Setup

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by TheSalt, Apr 3, 2014.

1. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Hello All!

I'm 100% sure this info is out there but I cant find it all. I keep ending up HERE and that info hasn't helped. I'm wondering if there is any update info on outgoing mail as that thread is almost 4 years old? I'm using shared hosting at godaddy. Last night I set up an email and registered the domain with gmail but I still haven't figured it out. To be complete honest I have no idea what I'm doing and could really use an idiots guide to set this up. Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

Nick
    www.californiareefs.com

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

3. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

I tried making a normal gmail account to test and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.58.35 PM.png

4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You should be using TLS instead of SSL for Gmail.

5. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Thank you Jeremy. I just changed it and ran a test email. Still nothing. Should it be instant or do they get held on a server? Thank you.

6. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Any ideas? I have been playing with this thing for 3 days without any luck. I'm not even getting bounced messages....:cautious:

Is using something like [bd] Mails 0.9.2b and Mandrill the better option? I really need to figure this out...:cry:

7. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Did you try the Default?
    That is from your server with myname@mysite.com.

8. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Thank you whynot. I just tried it. No email but I have no idea how fast it is normally. I had a few complaints that conformation emails were getting sent to junk or not at all. I did a test email but I never got it.

whynot likes this.
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

10. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

11. Falkor

Falkor Member

It should be like this and I have had it working this way since I installed XF

Gmail Account

Postbits172 Apr. 03 12.13.jpg

XF Mail Settings

Postbits173 Apr. 03 12.13.jpg

12. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

AAAHHH! I cant stay out of my own way!

So this worked! I did a test via 'email users' and 'send test email'. The problem is I noticed it went to my admin profile email (not really a problem). I know (now) that is were the test is supposed to go. I just didn't realize that was the email I was using because I changed it yesterday in one of a million attempts. I messed it all up somehow. I changed my admin account email and now it doesn't work. I did nothing to the "mail option", I only change my profile email address.

I double checked to make sure nothing changed on the "mail option" but it was perfect. So I changed my profile email address back and it still doesn't work! I have no idea what I did... Feeling like a big DUMB animal. Thank you for whatever help you can offer. :sick:

Here is the error I got:
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Connection refused - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
    Generated By: Salty, 7 minutes ago
    Stack Trace
    #0 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://smtp.gmai...')
    #1 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
    #2 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
    #3 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #4 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(998): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
    #5 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(898): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->_sendEmail(Array, Array, Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
    #6 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionEmailSend()
    #7 /home/thesalt/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #8 /home/thesalt/public_html/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #9 {main}
    Request State
    array(3) {
    ["url"] => string(57) "http://www.californiareefs.com/admin.php?users/email-send"
    ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["users/email-send"] => string(0) ""
    }
    ["_POST"] => array(10) {
    ["test"] => string(15) "Send Test Email"
    ["criteria"] => string(68) "{"receive_admin_email":"1","user_state":["valid"],"is_banned":["0"]}"
    ["total"] => string(2) "41"
    ["from_name"] => string(16) "California Reefs"
    ["from_email"] => string(29) "webmaster@californiareefs.com"
    ["email_title"] => string(4) "Test"
    ["email_format"] => string(4) "text"
    ["email_body"] => string(22) "sfsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsf"
    ["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    }
    }

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  13. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

lol! I broke Xenforo...:cautious:

14. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I can't remember for sure... but I think that if you use gmail to relay then the address in default email address had to be the same as the SMTP authentication address. It's been a LONG time ago since I used this function so I may be wrong.

TheSalt likes this.
  15. Tracy Perry

Also, I thought you needed to use port 587 instead of 465.

16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is there any reason why you don't want to use the default?
    That is what we generally recommend.

You can still use Gmail with that via Google Apps.

17. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Thank you! I ended up using [bd] Mails and it was insanely easy! It fixed the problem in under 5 minutes! I cant say enough about it!:love:

18. Tracy Perry

From what it looks like, he's not using Google Apps (at least what I consider Google Apps where you have them host your domain) since he has a @gmail.com extension.
    With Google Apps you can set (easily) postfix to perform the relay to it.

EDIT:
    On a shared hosting it would probably work - but again it's been a while since I messed with a shared hosting provider.

19. Tracy Perry

If you have a busy site then monitor the provider you are using since they only offer a set number of free relays.

20. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

For some reason it wasn't working. I tried the "email users" and did the test email and it never made it to my box not even spam.