• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Email Issues

Code Monkey

Well-known member
#1
Any server guru's out there?

For the first time I decided to get an self managed VPS. It's gone pretty good so far. I'm using Virtualmin on Ubuntu 12.o4 with Postfix as my mail server. I have noticed an issue that seems to be sending all my emails to peoples spam folders. Some header content is missing.

A sample header

Code:
from:    Site Name <webmaster@com>
to:    username <emailaddress@com>
date:    Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM
subject:    Test Email
mailed-by:    com
As you can see everything shows as from or to "com" with no domain. Anyone have any ideas? I obviously missed something along the way.
 

Tracy Perry

Well-known member
#2
In postfix's main.cf do you have a myhostname defined?
What is your /etc/mailname (actual file in /etc). It should be the same as your domain name.
 

CTXMedia

Formerly CyclingTribe
#3
Also, check if you've set a default board email address: Admin Control Panel > Options > Email Options - Default Email Address

You might also want to check the option for - Set return path with -f parameter - I had to do this on my server when I migrated from qmail to Postfix.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
 

Tracy Perry

Well-known member
#4
Also, check if you've set a default board email address: Admin Control Panel > Options > Email Options - Default Email Address

You might also want to check the option for - Set return path with -f parameter - I had to do this on my server when I migrated from qmail to Postfix.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
That is definitely something to look at, but if the header he gave is one that was sent, then the mail handler (I'm assuming Postfix in this case) may be misconfigured.

Any server guru's out there?

For the first time I decided to get an self managed VPS. It's gone pretty good so far. I'm using Virtualmin on Ubuntu 12.o4 with Postfix as my mail server. I have noticed an issue that seems to be sending all my emails to peoples spam folders. Some header content is missing.
This is my working main.cf that I use.
Code:
# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the first
# line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname
 
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
biff = no
 
# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no
 
# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h
 
readme_directory = no
 
# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_unknown_client
bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
bounce_service_name = bounce
double_bounce_sender = double-bounce
error_notice_recipient = postmaster
myhostname = twowheeldemon.com
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = twowheeldemon.com, localhost.com, tdperry.us, tkperry.com, localhost
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
 

Biker

Well-known member
#6
Ensure your DNS shows a SPF record (as a minimum). DKIM entries will also help prevent emails from going to the spam folders.
 

Tracy Perry

Well-known member
#7
Ensure your DNS shows a SPF record (as a minimum). DKIM entries will also help prevent emails from going to the spam folders.
His main problem is not just it going into the SPAM folder... but it not having the FQDN listed at the end of the email addresses. <scratches head>
 

Code Monkey

Well-known member
#9
I finally got this fixed. Apparently changing your domain name is a perilous thing. There are many other side related files that didn't get auto changed. The culprit seemed to be /etc/webilizer/webilizer.conf /etc/mailname /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py that still held the old hostname. Works fine now.
 

CTXMedia

Formerly CyclingTribe
#10
I finally got this fixed. Apparently changing your domain name is a perilous thing. There are many other side related files that didn't get auto changed. The culprit seemed to be /etc/webilizer/webilizer.conf /etc/mailname /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py that still held the old hostname. Works fine now.
Nice one - glad you got it sorted - and it's always nice to see people posting the "solution" as it may help others in the future. (y)