Implemented Email content on notification?

twhiting9275

This might fit under this thread , but since that was dealing with conversations between users, I thought it might be better brought up here?

Basically, when notifications are sent, shouldn't at least a portion of the content be sent in the email? This just seems somewhat standard any more, and gives the user a chance to choose whether or not they want to login and check the topic (sometimes the replies are redundant and you don't want to).

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Surprised but not many people have supported this suggestion. (or is it already in another thread?)
It's annoying to get streams of email notifications and have to log in here to check.

Surprised but not many people have supported this suggestion. (or is it already in another thread?)
It's annoying to get streams of email notifications and have to log in here to check.
It's even more annoying when members reply to the notification thinking it's going back to the sender.
I have my notification templates edited so members must log into the website.

It goes both ways actually so hopefully there's a choice.

I agree with steven that many people do reply directly to the notification.

I prefer that the members visit the site to see the content and at the same time, they also get to see other updates instead of just that particular topic.

It's even more annoying when members reply to the notification thinking it's going back to the sender.
I have my notification templates edited so members must log into the website.
So, you edit the email template telling them NOT to reply to the mail. Is it really that hard to do???
The fact is that requiring members to login to a website to see what may, or may not be a worthwhile reply is pretty ridiculous!

I brought this up a while ago and it was shot down on the basis that NOT having the content forces people to log in = visit your forum. Personally, I prefer to have the content of the message sent by email and so do my members, so I think it should be included.

As always, as this is a STANDARD option on many forums, should this not be included with a toggle on/off, so everyone is happy? :)

So, you edit the email template telling them NOT to reply to the mail. Is it really that hard to do???
The fact is that requiring members to login to a website to see what may, or may not be a worthwhile reply is pretty ridiculous!
I've done that. IN ALL CAPS. Maybe your members are different in that they read. Mine don't.

I brought this up a while ago and it was shot down on the basis that NOT having the content forces people to log in = visit your forum. Personally, I prefer to have the content of the message sent by email and so do my members, so I think it should be included.

As always, as this is a STANDARD option on many forums, should this not be included with a toggle on/off, so everyone is happy? :)

I was against it for the reason stated, but now that I'm getting a steady stream of notifications I've changed my mind. I think forcing people to log in to see the replies will just irritate them, and cause them to stop the notifications altogether. That's pretty much their effect on me, anyway.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but this is still bothering me. Before migrating some of my forums, I'm going through a checklist of possible issues. I think my readers would disable notifications if this were the case.

Thoughts? Workarounds?

Kier confirmed he has developed this for thread replies, it may be implemented in 1.0 pending the results of testing.

FWIW, I wrote message text inclusion in notification emails this afternoon. It is able to send the full HTML of the posts, including smilies etc.
Testing with a variety of email clients will determine if it makes it into 1.0 or if we hold off until 1.1.
View attachment 10965

Email notifications with the message text are critical for productivity.

There should be a plain-text email option, either through a multipart message (text/plain and text/html), or as a user option. Many people including myself use text-mode email clients for maximum productivity (eg. mutt)

-z

Options -> Email Options

Include full message text in watched thread notification emails.
Include full message text personal conversation notification emails.

Top Bottom