XF 1.2 Eliminate the delay for tab drop-downs

jauburn

By default, one has to allow the mouse cursor to hover over a tab in order to activate the drop-down associated with it. Most users don't do that. If they don't see a submenu immediately, they don't bother waiting.

How can I eliminate the delay associated with a tab's drop-down?

Thanks.

I changed it to 0. The menus still don't seem instantaneous. It's odd. It's as if you have to situate the mouse cursor exactly over the down arrow to get a reaction.

Trouble is...that didn't work.
It should.... I use it one one of my modified default styles (http://twowheeldemon.com and the "Default Style"

I enabled debug and created 3 template modifications

This one is for the members (made an entry specific for it)

Search for (in navigation template)

Code:
<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="navLink">{$tabs.members.title}</a>

<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

Replace with
Code:
<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="navLink NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu">{$tabs.members.title}</a>

This one is for the forum

Same template - new entry

Search for

Code:
<li class="navTab forums {xen:if $tabs.forums.selected, 'selected', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}">

<a href="{$tabs.forums.href}" class="navLink">{$tabs.forums.title}</a>
                <a href="{$tabs.forums.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

Replace with

Code:
<li class="navTab forums {xen:if $tabs.forums.selected, 'selected', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}">

<a href="{$tabs.forums.href}" class="navLink NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu">{$tabs.forums.title}</a>

And a third one

Search For

Code:
<a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="navLink">{$extraTab.title}<xen:if is="{$extraTab.counter}"><strong class="itemCount"><span class="Total">{$extraTab.counter}</span><span class="arrow"></span></strong></xen:if></a>
                <a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

Replace with

Code:
<a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="navLink NoPopupGadget" rel="Menu">{$extraTab.title}<xen:if is="{$extraTab.counter}"><strong class="itemCount"><span class="Total">{$extraTab.counter}</span><span class="arrow"></span></strong></xen:if></a>

It's like with Windows...the first thing I do on a new installation is get rid of all of the "animation" silliness, which is fun for about 30 seconds--and afterwards, just annoying.

Thanks. I'll try it.

How do you get rid of the "java no-goodness" (i.e., delay) on the right-hand side, as well? User menu and all that?
I'm pretty sure it's controlled by the same javascript delay that @Brogan outlined in his post. The problem with editing the .js is each time you do an upgrade you have to perform the edits again. I just finally gave up and lived with the delay.

I just finally gave up and lived with the delay.

Yeah. I am sure i will, too. I do not understand why these delays are built in to the system, though. My user testing over the years has shown that people invariably want menus to respond instantly. After all, they access them in order to get something done, not because they like the visual effects.

Yeah. I am sure i will, too. I do not understand why these delays are built in to the system, though. My user testing over the years has shown that people invariably want menus to respond instantly. After all, they access them in order to get something done, not because they like the visual effects.
One reason is when you mouse over them they won't immediately be popping up as you pass over them (say when moving from Members to Forum). The delay prevents that unless you hover over it. I kinda like it as you don't see the drop downs flashing by.

Top Bottom