1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the reason for the tab drop down timer?

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by jt2011, May 23, 2012.

1. jt2011

jt2011 Active Member

When you hover your mouse over the tabs with drop downs, there is a bit of a delay and then you get a drop down. And if you move your mouse away from the drop down, the drop down menu stays visible until you click somewhere else in the page.

I am curious why the drop down was built this way, can anyone provide insight?
  2. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

I prefer the delay on opening, otherwise every time I drag my mouse over the navbar the dropdowns start popping out. Not sure on the staying open until click part though.
    dieketzer likes this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Would be very annoying to pop up instantly.

If you don't like it the way it is, there is a code edit that will change its behaviour:

4. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

5. ubuntu64

ubuntu64 New Member

I want this.
  6. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly it staying open was a conscious UI decision. Quite honestly I find it really annoying when I open a drop down menu and move my mouse off it slightly to make a selection and it just closes. I'd think the timer was implemented because they stay open.

Perhaps a better solution would be to have them open instantly, and only close after you've had your mouse off the menu for a second or so.
  7. sonnb

sonnb Well-Known Member

Agree. Timer is used to make sure that, you are opening it and it's not a mistake of hover.