Effectively ban a user with dynamic IP address?

Moses

Is there any way to ban a troublesome user who connects via his mobile device?
The problem I'm having is he'll go through 3 to 10 IPs a day. When we find out who it is we ban them, so he registers again with a new email / profile pic.

Does anyone have suggestions on ways to effectively ban a troublesome user when IP ban doesn't cut it?

Probably use discouragement in the first instance.

It may slow him down.

Even so, it's usually just a case of continuing until one of you gets bored. It will probably be him.

But to answer your question, there is little to nothing you can do about dynamic IP addresses.

Discourage as mentioned above

Also, you could moderate posts (for the first 5 or 10?)

If they are re-registering, it's very hard to get them based on IP, I can imagine a plug-in that also detects a the user based on cookies (but once again, it would be very easy for the user to clear the cookies)

The problem is having a sold way of "identifying" the user

If they are re-registering, it's very hard to get them based on IP, I can imagine a plug-in that also detects a the user based on cookies (but once again, it would be very easy for the user to clear the cookies)
The Multiple Account detection add-on does this and has been quite effective for us.
As you mention, clearing all cookies gets around it, but it does add another level of difficulty for the annoying user.

I've been using MAD, however it's a bit of a problem as it reports many cases that we don't care about (a few thousand students connect from school, hence shared IPs), and the bad users tend to clear cookies, browse through Opera Turbo (US based compression and proxy server).

It'd be nice if we could add IP ranges to exclude from MAD.

Top Bottom