1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing posts in thread

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Vossi, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Vossi

Vossi Active Member

I dont know if this has been mentioned alreday, but what i dont like is the fact that people can edit their posts after quite a while but it doesnt get marked within that post at all. This means that people have the chance to claim about manipulations within discussions as people chance theit posts over and over again without it getting marked within the post itself.
    wwwicked likes this.
  2. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

yeah, I assume an 'Edited by X...' will be appearing at some point. It's definitely needed
    wwwicked likes this.
  3. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

4. Wired

Wired Active Member

Edit history and edit time limitations are definitely needed.
  5. Alluidh

Alluidh Well-Known Member

Yes, a history wolud be nice too
  6. Vossi

Vossi Active Member

Yep! Also an option for mods/admins to redo the post to one of the changes within the history; just like wikipedia.
  7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

As long as moderators can access post revisions and see "last edited" information, I personally don't think it's a big deal if the rest of the forum membership can't see it. Actually, I think it just adds unnecessary information to the post-area.
    Fusion, Enigma and anotheralias like this.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Nick.

Wait, where have I heard that before? :confused:
  9. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Maybe an unobtrusive 'history' button that opens up a history, kind of how wikipedia does it -
  10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Edited dates are useful in keeping track of certain posts to check to see if they were updated recently. History would obviously be moderator-viewable via permissions, but there has definitely been more than one occasion where I check a post's last edit time to make sure time sensitive information is up to date.
    Vossi likes this.
  11. Vossi

Vossi Active Member

Thats exactly the point. Thx.
  12. Waddy

Waddy Active Member

Nothing here
  13. David Amwake

David Amwake Member

Does anyone have any information on this? I was really hoping for some way for us to be able to track edits and see a time stamp for them.
  14. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Why do you think that ?
    HINT: Did I just solve your problem ?
  15. Waddy

Waddy Active Member

Why do I think what? I never said anything in that quote, see the problem.
  16. Digital Doctor

No. because I quoted everything you said. So if you think someone is going to delete what they said, then quote them.
  17. Digital Doctor

FYI, I do agree with you.
    I'd like to see [Edited] when the post goes beyond 10 minutes.
    I am just pointing out a temporary option.
    Stormraven likes this.
  18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Quotes can be edited.

See ;)
  19. Netsultants

Netsultants Active Member

I agree with this as a reader and a poster. Sometime I write a post and need to go back a and clarify or change something and the edit history shows a reader to review it. As a reader, it's much easier to see I need to reread a post if it's got edit history.
  20. Digital Doctor

Time Limit for Editing/Deleting Posts

There is now a permission that allows you to specify a time limit for editing or deleting posts (in minutes). To maintain backwards compatibility, this defaults to unlimited in all upgrades. source