XF 1.2 Edit thread title (prefix) without edit post permissions

Mr Lucky

OK, that might sound like an odd thing to want but hear me out...

Say you have a forum where people sell stuff. It makes sense that you don't allow editing of posts in that forum - there can be arguments if someone changes the description of their item after it is sold.

But what would be useful if the seller could change just the thread prefix from FS to SOLD.

I don't think this possible with permissions as they are but would be really nice . Is there a way to allow this?

There is no way to do this with the default permissions but there is a paid add-on that lets you do that - User Essentials.

There is no way to do this with the default permissions but there is a paid add-on that lets you do that - User Essentials.
@Syndol, which setting is it? Edit Thread Title by Self requires Edit Post permission in the general User Group Permissions. I don't see an option to edit only the thread prefix. I'm using User Essentials. Is it a Node Permission?

It would be through the Time limit on editing thread title by self (minutes) forum permission, but first you must enable the Separate Title & Post Edit Time Permissions via the options page.

It would be through the Time limit on editing thread title by self (minutes) forum permission, but first you must enable the Separate Title & Post Edit Time Permissions via the options page.
@Syndol I'm having trouble getting this to work right. I set the option as you suggested, and I have the node permissions set so that the user can only edit their post for 1 minute. I have the time limit on edit titles set to unlimited. Is that the correct way to have it set? That usergroup is set to have a much longer time limit for editing posts in general, so I'm hoping the node permission will override that limit.

@Ludachris - The highest value is the one used as the final value for the end permission.
So if you have 5 minutes for the user group and 1 minute for the node, then the end result is 5.
If you have 1 minute for the user group and 5 for the node, then the end result is 5 while in the node and 1 everywhere else.
In addition to the options page setting mentioned above, ensure you have Edit post by self and Edit thread title by self (requires edit own post) permissions set to 'Allow'.
Also ensure that you do not have 'Revoke' set anywhere.

So if I want one forum to have a really short time limit for editing posts of 1 minute and the rest of the forums to have a time limit of 30 minutes, and some with longer time limits, I would have to set the user group permission to 1 minute so that it's the default for that one node, and then go set all the other 70 or so forum node permissions to 30 minutes individually? That seems like a terrible way to have to do it. Seems to me the node you're posting in should be able to override the user group. Oh well.

Well, looks like I'll have some work to do to get this working the right way.

That is how XenForo works. Has nothing to do with the add-on.
Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that it was the add-on. I figured it was core XF. For what it's worth, your add-ons have been very useful. The Essentials add-ons you've made really should be part of core XF.

Last edited:
That is my understanding of permissions but perhaps someone else can shed more light on this subject and offer a better way to accomplish what you seek. Sorry for not being of any help.

Top Bottom