Implemented Edit preview show attachments inserted inline

island

Could XenForo show attachments which have been inserted inline when editing on the edit or preview screen?

For example, when you edit this post where one might type:

Here is a description of flag1:

flag3.webp

Here is a description of flag2:

flag2.webp

Here is a description of flag3:

flag1.webp
The edit window and the preview only show a numeric link for the attachment when editing or previewing the edit.

edit.webp

You can click each link to figure out which attachment is which when editing.

But it seems easier for (esp. newer) users when posting the message the first time where the editor actually shows the attachments inline so they can type descriptions around them when looking at the photo being described.

Since it's possible to show inline attachments inline on the initial post screen, I wonder if it would be possible for the edit screen or edit preview screen to show inline attachments inline the same way it works when making a new post?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
But it seems easier for (esp. newer) users when posting the message the first time where the editor actually shows the attachments inline so they can type descriptions around them when looking at the photo being described.
This is a problem we have with members removing content they think they didn't put there because they don't understand where the picture is.
I never understood why this wasn't fixed in earlier versions of XF.

There will be no more feature releases in the 1.x line. I forget the specifics but the changes were significant enough to mean that this either simply wasn't possible in XF 1.x or at the very least significantly challenging to make it unfeasible.

Drat. This issue was actually just brought to my attention when I kept noticing people double & triple posting pics. It seems that it's not obvious when one uploads an attachment via the attachment system and then inserts it that it is actually inserted. If you scroll around the editor window, it's obvious. But for some people, that's not intuitive I guess. So they click the "preview" button...in my case, I'm also using the "quick reply preview" addon that adds this to the quick reply editor, that overlay popup does the same thing.

To make it worse, I am using a template mod that allows one to see images in quotes, and that edit actually removes the "view attachment 12345" text/link from the preview, so it doesn't look like anything is there at all, so people think they screwed up, and insert all again, preview, nope, insert all, then finally just post it and there are 3x their images...now it looks broken.

It's good to hear that this issue is being addressed with XF2 and I can understand if there is a limitation to XF1...I might have to abandon my quote-attachment workaround just to avoid user confusion.

Thanks for bringing it up @island

Top Bottom