Easy way to upload a photo when creating/replying a thread.

When i am replying to a thread or creating a new thread. Sometimes i want to upload a photo with the thread. I noticed there is no option to upload a photo.

Unless you have the xenforo image uploading system. But i have that turned off because i want to just use xenmedia.

One thing that would be nice is if maybe everyone had a default album where all the photos they uploaded would go to that album. This would be handy for people who don't want to bother creating an album.

Later they could move whatever contents they wanted from the default album to an album they created.

So a button beside when replying/creating a thread. "Upload File" would be perfect.

Thanks,

(now with xenmedia being part of xenforo. I find that having both xenmedia and xenforo attachment upload is a little confusing/silly) I think both should be merged into one.

-suggestion transfered from xenresources-
https://xenresources.com/threads/easy-way-to-upload-a-photo-when-creating-replying-a-thread.1641/

Upvote 16
An admin option to allow "uploaded files included in gallery" would solve that wouldn't it?
No, because that's a global option. This would need to work based on user group permissions as some members can use XFMG categories and albums and others can't.

Most people want something quick and easy. So being able to upload xenmedia images straight from a "create thread" would make things easier and faster.
The problem with this 'quick and easy' upload solution is that you will end up with a Gallery full of images but no titles, descriptions or anything else. People won't be bothered about filling in this stuff when adding to a post. That will then make the Gallery pretty useless.

We have lots of users uploading images to posts but hardly anyone using the gallery itself. The gallery provides a very nice way to view, comment and rate uploaded images but it's currently not integrated with the majority of the image-based content our users are generating.
There has to be a reason for them to use it, a real purpose. Categories relating to the site need setting up and media added by admins and moderators to lead by example. In addition, restrictions about media uploads in posts need to be put in place (limit how many uploads per post, size of uploads etc) to encourage users to use XFMG instead. Even then, it's still going to be hard work. I know, this is what has happened on my site but it's slowly getting better.

I'm not saying that I don't like the idea of being able to do what has been suggested, it's just that some thought is needed to get it to work well and with various permutations of how people use XFMG.

Yes. I'm not sure what your problem is with that. Are only simple/easy suggestions allowed? I imagine integrating the gallery to the forums is quite a large task and one that would probably not have been considered if it was a 3rd party add on. Thankfully now it's not.
I don't have a problem with it.

I'm trying to make it clear how it's not just a simple checkbox when creating a thread.

All of these issues need to be thought about and explained in the first post when making a suggestion, otherwise it's too vague and won't garner any traction or support.

I get what you're saying but surely sometimes a vague suggestion is more appropriate with the details being left to the expert to decide what would actually work best. There are a load of different ways this could be done but what most people really want is just better integration being uploaded post content and the gallery.

I get what you're saying but surely sometimes a vague suggestion is more appropriate with the details being left to the expert to decide what would actually work best. There are a load of different ways this could be done but what most people really want is just better integration being uploaded post content and the gallery.
Yes, better integration would be great but vague suggestions aren't always useful. Experts at coding do sometimes need suggestions and ideas from users too. In fact, users can often have a better insight on how something should work for them than some coders. It's also true though that some users (and I'm not saying it's the case here, just generalising) don't give the first thought to the practicality of their suggestions.

Anyway, the idea of uploading media whilst making a post is good in that I think most of us who use XFMG would find this very useful. It's the nitty gritty of getting something that provides good UI to the user, allows admins to determine who uploads to XFMG and to where, and ensures that the Gallery doesn't just become a clutter of unlabelled rubbish that no-one looks in because it's like that - now that's the tricky bit!

I think it would be useful to have an option to have images which are attached to a post put in the gallery rather than the attachment system.

It could use some type of special user album designed for specifically this purpose - just a container which uses the gallery storage system and is automatically created and maintained for photos that were uploaded with posts.

You would be able to view the album like normal, and there would be a link from the photos back to the post they were attached to.

On one of my forums I disabled the ability to attach images to a post, instead forcing users to upload their images to my (hacked Photopost) gallery instead - it works because my gallery is tightly integrated into the forums and so they can discuss the photo just like any other thread.

I have over 200,000 images in my gallery, which are stored separately on a CDN - I don't want users attaching hundreds of thousands of images to posts, because the storage for that becomes difficult to manage and it becomes difficult to keep track of images in posts - it would be useful to see a summary of images in a user album as well.

Just some ideas to consider.

So you want the thread create template to also add a media item to the gallery, at the same time?

This is what I have been wanting to see all the time. The issue is this some members don't want to go into the gallery upload the images then go back to create a thread or post a reply. Without the upload option in the post option they just don't bother then. So we now have images split between attachments and the gallery. This is a huge problem when you run a photography forum as other members tend to want to follow some members images posted. So now we don't really have just one place they can go and see all the images from another member being split between the gallery and the attachments

I think it would be useful to have an option to have images which are attached to a post put in the gallery rather than the attachment system.

It could use some type of special user album designed for specifically this purpose - just a container which uses the gallery storage system and is automatically created and maintained for photos that were uploaded with posts.

You would be able to view the album like normal, and there would be a link from the photos back to the post they were attached to.

On one of my forums I disabled the ability to attach images to a post, instead forcing users to upload their images to my (hacked Photopost) gallery instead - it works because my gallery is tightly integrated into the forums and so they can discuss the photo just like any other thread.

I have over 200,000 images in my gallery, which are stored separately on a CDN - I don't want users attaching hundreds of thousands of images to posts, because the storage for that becomes difficult to manage and it becomes difficult to keep track of images in posts - it would be useful to see a summary of images in a user album as well.

Just some ideas to consider.
I think this is a great idea. Maybe have a checkbox in the thread creation say"Add to Gallery."

Or just have an option to opt for normal attachment system or to upload the image to the users default album (or if a "uploaded" album doesn't exist, make one). This is a usability/expectation issue and really don't see what the walls are about.

When user uploads pics to a thread, the picture can be used in the thread and can also be found on page of recent uploads. Same image, same file, not a duplicate, etc.

That page is basically the public version of the attachment manager, but thumbnails only and no ability to edit/delete - just view them in a pinterest/grid/tile like fashion with no titles or descriptions; a page of photo thumbnails (leading to full size version OR the thread it originated from) and no text. if there's a title, then a title under it (option chosen by admin), but not much else is needed. it would be a page of recently uploaded images and might even be really cool to have. think of the imgur homepage - pics organized by popularity! sounds like an addon waiting to happen.

New usergroup perm could be:

require title/caption on uploaded attachment? yes or no.
show title/caption on the page where image is displayed (under or above)? yes or no.

if yes, title/caption is used as file name. if no, then generic filename like "1223sdc34" is assigned.

I do think that some of the XMG features could be used for attachments (watermarks), but not to the point that it disrupts the ease of creating a new thread. If a user has to type a title or wait for processing, then they're going to leave. Most pictures don't need titles, especially those uploaded in conversation. facebook, twitter, and tumblr are great examples of pics with no titles.
When I had xmg on my site, NONE of my users used it. I even found myself making photo galleries in a forum thread because it took all of 10 seconds to do it - i didn't have to be bothered entering info.They kept all their uploads in the forum and I eventually removed XMG. I miss the watermarking and I enjoyed having a homepage of just photos, but sadly my users didn't feel the same way.

Maybe XMG is more for people with art/photography based websites where there's a heavy focus on quality and organization.

I just figured out how to make a normal button by reading threads in xenforo. I was using a jpg with html before. It looked pretty bad because it didn't act or look like a button.

But now i know a simple code to add a "Upload Media" button

Capture.webp

Here's the code if anyone wants it:

<a class="button" href="media/add" target="_blank"><span>Upload Media</span></a>

It works great. Put it in the 3 tempaltes. It acts and looks like a normal button and takes you to the upload page. Very useful. Now it's easier to upload Media. (y)

Last edited:
I just figured out how to make a normal button by reading threads in xenforo. I was using a jpg with html before. It looked pretty bad because it didn't act or look like a button.

But now i know a simple code to add a "Upload Media" button

View attachment 105606

Here's the code if anyone wants it:

<a class="button" href="media/add" target="_blank"><span>Upload Media</span></a>

It works great. Put it in the 3 tempaltes. It acts and looks like a normal button and takes you to the upload page. Very useful. Now it's easier to upload Media. (y)
but when you click on that button it takes you to another page right?

yes it does, it takes you to the media gallery add media section, it takes you to the following page

Code:
http://yourdomain.com/media/add

which works great for me, i dont really need an easy way to upload media anymore,
this button works better

yes it does, it takes you to the media gallery add media section, it takes you to the following page

Code:
http://yourdomain.com/media/add

which works great for me, i dont really need an easy way to upload media anymore,
this button works better
but in this way, users need to come back to the reply after they uploaded media to the media gallery, right?

You, you upload the images, then you have to return to the second page,

it is a pain, a little, depending on how your forum is built,

i guess you are right, there should be an easy way to upload straight to the media gallery, the same way it is now for attachments

I would also love to see an easier way to integrate videos inline with posts instead of having to upload direct to the gallery first.

I would also love to see an easier way to integrate videos inline with posts instead of having to upload direct to the gallery first.

If you support this request, you need to like the first post of the thread, that is how the XF staff gauges interest in suggestions.

this still works for xf2!

this is the code i used in template quick_reply around line 77

<a class="button" href="index.php?media/add" target="_blank"><span>Upload Media</span></a>

in between these 2 codes

Code:
<xf:button class="u-jsOnly" data-xf-click="preview-click" icon="preview" />
<a class="button" href="index.php?media/add" target="_blank"><span>Upload Media</span></a>
</xf:if>

heres how it looks!

when you click on the button it takes you to this page

so now users can easily upload images

i bought media gallery and disabled the attachments uploads

hope this helps someday

Top Bottom