Earthquake

jonsidneyb

This is going to be nothing for most of you but we had an earthquake today, It was a 5.6.

This is the first earthquake I have ever felt in my life. It is one of those things that just don't happen the places I have lived.

A very strange event for me.

A quake of 5.6 is big enough to cause damage. Prepare for aftershocks that usually come within 24 hours.

I live in a seismic zone and small earthquakes happen frequently. Thankfully, the big ones are not so frequent.

In 2009 we had a destructive quake in the city L'Aquila which was 5.8 on the richter scale or 6.3 on the moment magnitude scale. The city fell apart!

Keep safe and alert!

Scary stuff. I've experienced 3 of them, 2 of which were in areas they were not experienced for many decades.

My first one was in Limburg, in 1992. A 4.8, followed by a 5.8.
The second one was in 2003 in Utah, where the people I stayed with were so surprised by it that their first thought was that Salt Lake City had been nuked.
My third one was in Denmark, 2008, our wedding day :eek:

The news said that the 5.6 yesterday left cracks in walls, etc. so there was definitely some damage.

Maybe I was far enough away from the center to where it was not so bad. My damage was two plates on the desk, I thought that this was kind of fun.

Despite numerous visits to LA when my mum lived out there, the only Earthquakes I've felt were at home, Birmingham UK. I was only around 10 miles from the epicentre of one of them - word has it that the quake did millions of pounds worth of improvements to the area ;)

I have only felt one earthquake and several tremors.

The Newcastle earthquake in 1989 - it killed 12 people, I was very distant from there but it was still strong enough to rattle the house and be quite frightening

The tremors were in New Zealand, in the middle of the North Island, which is pretty shaky all the time.

Once I was sitting at my pc after midnight we had an earthquake 4.6, not really big at all but it was very, very scary because I felt so helpless.

sorry to hear about the quake, if you havent experienced one and not expecting it's some scary stuff.

This year I must have lived through thousands of earthquakes after that main one went off in Sendai in March. Had a small one yesterday actually. You feel a sway, you wait, hope it doesn't get worse, normally it doesn't - get back to work lol

Yeah, it sure is. Warm and humid the last few days and now a strong cold front (by Texas terms). Still, whatever it takes for the rain to come.

Top Bottom