eAccelerator, ionCube & Zend Optimizer - What Do I Need?

TheBigK

I looked at performance tuning options in XenForo Admincp and found that it would help a lot if I've an opcode caching mechanism on my server. I contacted my server admins and they said I've IonCube and Zend Optimizer installed on my server.

After reading couple of threads on webmaster forums, it seems that eAccelerator is the ideal Opcode caching mechanism to have on server. Would you recommend that I ask my admins to install eAccelerator on my server in addition to the ioncube and zend optimizer?

Or, do I have other alternatives?

Apparently eAccelerator offers better performance than APC or Xcache.

Neither Zend optimiser nor IonCube loaders are required for XenForo to run.

I think that makes sense, just finished a 4+ hour server optimisation for a client.

I think that makes sense, just finished a 4+ hour server optimisation for a client.
Thank you, Shamil. Would you recommend installing eAccelerator *in addition to* the Zend Optimizer or IonCube?

Zend and IonCube aren't required for XenForo, but there are and will be more mods that require it.

By the way, I've been told eAccelerator requires easyApache. What's that? If I'm installing eAccelerator - will it cause downtime?

By the way, I've been told eAccelerator requires easyApache. What's that? If I'm installing eAccelerator - will it cause downtime?

EasyApache is a cPanel component that allows Apache + PHP to be configured and built using a GUI web interface in cPanel.
You can also use it from the shell.

ionCube and Zend Optimizers are loaders, not cache handlers. I'd recommend to use APC, I've been using it for more than 3 months and it works well. But the choice is yours.

It doesn't require EasyApache. EasyApache CAN install it, but it does NOT require it. EasyApache is in cPanel/WHM, so if you're using cPanel/WHM, that's the way to go, otherwise its down to shell.

It doesn't require EasyApache. EasyApache CAN install it, but it does NOT require it. EasyApache is in cPanel/WHM, so if you're using cPanel/WHM, that's the way to go, otherwise its down to shell.
Thank you for your recommendation. Could you tell me why do you recommend APC over eAccelerator?

Thank you for your recommendation. Could you tell me why do you recommend APC over eAccelerator?

APC is being developed by the PHP group and is slated to become part of mainstream PHP. I think it is already in the trunk, so in a few years time, APC will be coming directly with PHP.

APC is an 'official' extension (guaranteed compatibility), eAccelerator is 3rd party

And any difference in speed between any of the opcode caches is negligible to be honest

Edit: ninja'd

Thank you everyone for your responses. Does APC work with Zend Optimizer and ionCube? I already have the latter two installed.

One quick question: If I install eAccelerator - do I need to change any settings or configuration file to make it work with Xenforo? As I'm guessing is that you just 'install' eAccelerator and do not touch any of your XF settings. Am I right?

I suppose you need to change the caching settings that corresponds to the Zend Framework caching settings.

I've installed eAcclerator without touching any settings. The host admin setup few things but haven't touched the XF settings.

You installed eAcceleator without touching any settings? How? Via EasyApache? Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I never heard xF using eAccelerator? Or perhaps I just don't know how it works. AFAIK eAccelerator is quite different than APC or memcache, I don't know for sure. Someone correct me.

Top Bottom