eAccelerator (config.php)?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 745
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 745

Hi,

How do I enable eAccelerator in the config.php please I cannot find anything on the forum saying how its done?

Hi,

How do I enable eAccelerator in the config.php please I cannot find anything on the forum saying how its done?

Same here, I keep reading threads about using eAccelerator but find nothing listed here about using it. All I've found is using APC, MemCache and FileCache. Can somebody spread some light on this one, does XenForo use "eAccelerator" and if yes what do you add to config. I want to set it up with WampServer but there's no information about doing it in the config, or even if in fact it really is supported by XenForo.

XenForo, like anything else, benefits from eAccelerator's opcode caching, but there is nothing to be configured. You can rely on APC for opcode caching, without entering a single line in the configuration file. Somewhere, I think I read a post from Kier saying they haven't defined any caching in the config file used here.

Yes, here you are - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/apc-memcached-both.11839/#post-157097

Another, where he states they are using APC for opcode caching purposes only - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tip-use-apc.6456/page-4#post-237629

You do understand eAccelerator is just an opcode caching system, aye? It compiles PHP and then caches the opcode on the server.

APC is another opcode caching system that also has data caching abilities.

If you run XenForo on a server, it will run faster with eAccelerator installed, as eAccelerator will cache pre-compiled code. APC will accomplish the same thing, without entering so much as one character in the config file. However, APC can also cache data, if you want to configure XenForo to take advantage of that additional ability.

The answer to your question is no, XenForo does not "use" eAccelerator. A XenForo site most certainly benefits from eAccelerator's cached, pre-complied PHP. If you choose to use APC for the same purpose, there is nothing to be added to the XenForo config file. That will only be necessary if you want XenForo to "use" APC's data caching abilities.

Are you beginning to see the difference between the two scripts?

Are you beginning to see the difference between the two scripts?

No, not really. :confused:

I should say I'm talking here about using eAccelerator with WampServer. I've used it with vBulletin and MyBB already. It's something I installed from SiteBuddy website ages ago for PHP 5.2.6, with you having to activate the php_extension in wampserver first to use eAccelerator, but of course the forum software needs the entries in the config.php file or what ever to use it. The same way XCache or Memcache does shown on the guide pages here for uses cache.

So if your saying there's no option to do that with XenForo, that it basically doesn't support eAccelerator in that way. You've answered my question that it cannot be used then. I don't use APC with WampServer after testing before with vBulletin and finding the later "eAccelerator" to be much faster on my local-host install.

I removed eAccelerator and replaced it with APC and Memcached, just yesterday. And the tests I was running before, during and after indicate eAccelerator is faster than APC, as an opcode caching system. But the difference I saw was negligible.

Be aware eAccelerator hasn't been updated in over a year and their site now seems to be closed down. That, along with the rumor that APC will be part of the PHP6 release might give you some reason to give APC a bit more consideration.

My server has eAccelerator on it at the moment, and with the ACP performance option ticked to cache the public templates, that alone has made a significant improvement to page loading speed, without having to implement more cores to my server. It was starting to slow down as it's getting close to using a full core as a minimum, but a quick tick in the box to deliver templates cached, just reduced some of the drag to the browser... hopefully to get another 6 - 12 months before further server costs.

When I "have" to get a second core, then I may change to APC.

I can't find any information here about adding eAccelerator to the config.php for using. I have the needed DLL really and information to add in php.ini file e.t.c. What do you put in config.php

You don't need to add eAccelerator to the config file, as it is purely a server side cache. If you have that installed, you don't need touch your config. If you use other accelerators, you will need to apply them via config.

Top Bottom