Duplicate Threads?

Mopquill

Okay, so, I'd installed XenForo, and imported my vBulletin 3.8 settings just fine. However, due to a very long story, one of my staff accidentally wiped the database. I hadn't made a backup yet (D'oh!), but it'd only been a few days, so, I figured I'd just re-import vBulletin, as it's been "off" and unused since the first import (i.e. the exact same import I did the first time).

Now though, when I import, everything proceeds fine as far as the import itself goes. If I check the forums root then, it says there are 86,000-something messages. Once I proceed with the import completion (Click the "Complete Import" button), it goes and rebuilds caches. Then, it tells me to do two things: 1. check the usergroup permissions, and 2. rebuild the search cache. But, at this point, the forums say there are 168,000-something messages. If I view any forum, I can see two of each thread all the way down.

I've tried dropping every single table in my database and starting the process over- three times. This keeps happening. Anyone have any ideas? I've completely re-uploaded the XenForo files already, and wiped the database, and even used a different (new) database/user.

The Error log in the AdminCP is empty. I'm thinking there might be some cache file somewhere ruining something, so, I figure I might need to delete the /forums/ directory, wipe the database, re-upload it, and re-install. Anyhow, this seems to be indicative of some bug or glitch or something. I don't want to have to go through my board and delete some 3,000 threads (and have all the orphaned thread/post IDs to go with that), so, I'm wondering if anyone has come across this, and has any potential solutions. I'm willing to try anything that sounds intelligent.

At the very least, thanks for reading.

EDIT: Not sure if this is relevant, but, I'm adding it in:
The staff member was trying to install their own xenforo forum under a different linux user on a different website, and somehow got MY forum's database information in their config.php . I've had them check and double-check, but, they have no idea how it happened. I'm sort of willing to blame bumbling, but, it sort of seems like something else is happening here.

Considering that wiping the database and files should leave everything exactly the same as the first install and it's -not-, that would indicate to me that something it can read somewhere changed. I'm not sure what it changed, though.

I usually use a new directory for each try, than new install, new import etc.
Not sure however about your question (and yes, most probably if it didn't worked this time it will probably not work if you install it again).

This code however should fix the usernames problem explained above, however if your board is very populated (you have 2 threads opened in the same second) it will bring problems.
Code:
$cnt = $this->_db->fetchOne('SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM xf_thread
WHERE  post_date = ?
', $thread['dateline']);

if($cnt > 0) continue;

That is my guess. However, for yours, I imported from the newly-imported database from the previous attempt, which, while the table and columns and rows are all utf8, the table itself is latin1, whereas my original table is also utf8.

Hmm. Do you think my table being utf8 in the first place could be the reason the vBulletin importer is failing?

Ah, okay. Then, I won't bother trying again. I wish I knew what was causing this. I know a lot about a lot, especially when it comes to computing. I'm a bit disappointed to be so lost here, but unfortunately, MySQL is one of my weak points.

Thanks for all your help, though.

Also, I'm to understand the devs have been notified. I'm sure they're busy, they'll get to us when they can. Hopefully that will be soon.

Maybe they've already seen it, and are waiting to post until they have a solution?

Yeah, I agree. However, I'm been noticing with increasing frequency that the staff here likes to not answer until they've got some sort of answer for you. I'm trying to be patient, as I know I'm often less inclined to help irrate members.

That's why I've been trying to provide whatever information I can think of. It bugs me, but, the mods have posted. I think the best thing to do might just be to wait 'til they say something, and give them any information they need to try to replicate the problem.

Thanks for posting that, Andy, it's helpful. =]

Anyhow, Firefox Minefield, here. 4.0 beta 8 pre.

While Firefox uses Gecko, it's worth mentioning that both Safari and Chrome use webkit.

Anyhow, the buttons are pretty and all, but pressing them doesn't always feel like I pressed them, and the javascript makes me uneasy. Maybe use simple submit forms for this sort of thing, and then just handle page redirection automatically via javascript? I realize you'd still have to fix up the JS in the first place, but, it'd make us feel more secure about what we're doing, and it'd help part of the problem, if I'm understanding correctly.

Anyhow, a double-request makes sense. That would be why it's like they are running next to each other. However, I've trying clearing my cookies and cache and everything, and I've been very careful to only click once. Also, the first time I installed, I was also on Minefield, so, I'm not sure what would be different.

I think I may try borrowing another box from someone I know (someone that hopefully hasn't used XenForo on it), and import my database there, and then if it works, dump it and import it on my box.

Eagerly awaiting news, if anyone has any.

The only news i have is that i'm going live tonight at 20:00 italian time with the site i have in the signature, since that the hack i did worked well.
However i still don't get why we don't have feedbacks from devs.

I'm quite sure that changing the box will not affect the import, but i might be wrong. In case just "yum install php-*" to be sure you have all what you need.

The thing is, my original import worked perfectly. My theory is that it has something to do with the second and greater imports. I'm not sure.

The box I'm trying on is Debian. :P

But, I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Dude, I didn't even use your script, and it worked perfectly. I knew there was something about doing it twice.

Hopefully this information will be useful to the devs. Thanks to everyone who posted in here for your help. Now we just need someone to stop it from happening. :D

@Andy: Looks like I didn't need to wait, eh?

Anyhow, if anyone absolutely needs their db fixed, I can try for you, if you'd like.

Top Bottom