DragonByte Tech add-ons not coming to XF anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL why do you care?

Would you want to deal with a company that sees no value in you or your community?

I know I never would.

End of story.

Coulnd't be further from the truth. I've had @Dragonbyte Tech personally contact me several times over the past few years, and had a direct line of communicating with them since day one, and I can vouch for dbtech as a respectable company who provides A++++ support and great mods. I've been a forum admin for nearly 8 years now and in that time, i've never experienced such professionalism and quality support (not even vbseo in the prime time came close).

I'm actually in the process of making my way from vbulletin to xf currently, and I would love to have dbtech apart of the xf community.

Dbtech never started this thread, they are only defending themselves from misinformation, and are replying to people's questions with their view and knowledge (as the biggest vbulletin modification company), and then people are turning that into some kind of negative situation, and making this whole thread mind bogling.

I'm sorry I don't like spamming this thread with off-topic garbage. If you want more infos, check DRE's post history.

I'm sorry I don't like spamming this thread with off-topic garbage. If you want more infos, check DRE's post history.

Clearly you and DRE have a issue with one another I didn't know about. Perhaps bring that up with him, I've been reading what DB has to say, thrown a couple of humorous posts in to lighten the topic and from what I've seen DRE posted a poll which served as an indicator that he wanted to see DB add-ons brought here which prompted my reply which was met with a slightly abrupt reply from yourself.

That's an issue you really need to take up with him, not me.

Please stop spreading false information here. I don't have an issue with DRE. In fact, we were never deeply involved in a conversation with each other. I just didn't like the recent bashing of other people's add-ons in threads that has nothing to do with them. It could have been you, it could have been Kier, it could have been anyone, I still would not like it, but that doesn't mean I have an issue with them. Just imagine someone would bash your resources or talk smack about you in random threads behind your back. Not cool, isn't it?

(Ironically this is the same issue DragonByte was complaining about here, people spreading false information)

Please stop spreading false information here. I don't have an issue with DRE. In fact, we were never deeply involved in a conversation with each other. I just didn't like the recent bashing of other people's add-ons in threads that has nothing to do with them. It could have been you, it could have been Kier, it could have been anyone, I still would not like it, but that doesn't mean I have an issue with them. Just imagine someone would bash your resources or talk smack about you in random threads behind your back. Not cool, isn't it?

(Ironically this is the same issue DragonByte was complaining about here, people spreading false information)

You need to get a grip. You approached me with your abrupt reply #fact. who's been spreading false rumour? why are you telling me? I've never had any issues with any add-on developer which I've always praised and go out of my way showing my appreciation so what are you banging on about?

Paint me confused. o_O

Time for a built-in ignore thread feature, wouldn't you say? I mean... this thread has gone beyond insignificance, no matter how often it is being repeated how hostile and unworthy (in the most literal sense) this community is. I wish it wouldn't show up in the what's new list anymore, simply because I don't find it xF worthy.

Hard to judge that far ahead, especially considering 5 and a half years from now we'll be on a different version of xF entirely and the landscape could look VERY different. Still if we go ahead and assume linearity then i'd say about $100-120k in a 30 month period based on what I think xFs market will look like in 2 years.

If it was a 30 month period starting now, we're probably looking at $50-60k

I knew about IGN and DP, IGN were one of the very first on board and xF seems to have struggled a bit since then to keep picking up the big clients in the same way vB does. We don't really need convinced about the quality of the software - we're well aware of that ;)
The lawsuit is what made Xenforo struggle so hard as it generated a lot of negative press. I've seen users on non-xenforo big boards suggest admins switch to Xenforo and the admins would say stuff like "nope, there's a lawsuit and our modifications aren't on xenforo yet". While we're on the subject of misinformation, since you are concerned about misinformation about DB Tech, there is also plenty of misinformation about Xenforo as well. If you do decide to switch to Xenforo you would help the Xenforo community alot by creating a thread explaining what Xenforo is to your customers in the Xenforo section of your site so that they aren't so confused all the time. You will end up getting more Xenforo customers and Xenforo would get more converts. I think it's a win-win situation. Your vBulletin to Xenforo converts will then buy the Xenforo equivalents of your addons. Maybe give them a discount for the conversion?

Another thing about misinformation... here's a thread on biodiversity about their switch to Xenforo and how long it would take because they can't find someone to convert their addons. If you have some of your team concentrate a little more on Xenforo and consider making Xenforo version of addons that exist on vBulletin but have no equivalent I think that will also help money-wise cause there are no set team of coders that do this and no third party services who could sell this service as well as you could. Speaking of DP, read that thread, it's very funny. There's a guy in there who thinks digitalpoint upgraded to vBulletin 5 when they are really on Xenforo.

Time for a built-in ignore thread feature, wouldn't you say? I mean... this thread has gone beyond insignificance, no matter how often it is being repeated how hostile and unworthy (in the most literal sense) this community is. I wish it wouldn't show up in the what's new list anymore, simply because I don't find it xF worthy.
Unwatch the thread then please. I'm still trying to sell Xenforo to DB Tech. I won't give up.

You need to get a grip. You approached me with your abrupt reply #fact. who's been spreading false rumour? why are you telling me? I've never had any issues with any add-on developer which I've always praised and go out of my way showing my appreciation so what are you banging on about?

Paint me confused. o_O
Sometimes it's better to resist the temptation and say nothing (this of course applies to me too). As far as I'm concerned, the thing with DRE was over before you reopened it with this reply of yours. You could have avoided it if you would have hit me up via PM or have done research first. And then you spread the false information that DRE and I had an issue with each other.

You are free to do whatever you want. Who said I "watched" it?
I was looking at the chatbox just now: http://xfdriveby.com/dashboard/chat/

I gotta register one of these days but the general consensus there is that this thread sucks and DB Tech is really just here to advertise for vBulletin. This has inspired me to consider creating yet another DB Tech thread that shows every xenforo addon equivalent to their vBulletin addons. Shelley mentioned that we have plenty of good coders who could do versions of DB Tech's addons for Xenforo but that they are really busy and she is right. I think it might be easier to just try convincing DB Tech to come over instead.

Now the win-win of this situation is that 1. We get vBulletin equivalents of Xenforo addons we so desperately need, such as a shop and 2. Other coders will be inspired to make cheaper or free versions of those addons. That's pretty much what happens on vBulletin. Like that guy that posted on here earlier named vbresults. His vbulletin name is LancerForHire. He once created a live threads type addon for vB4 then DBTech released their own version. That basically put them in competition with each other. Eventually the best modification won out and that's more of the kind of stuff Xenforo needs, more quality addons, which means more competition, which makes the coders who are already doing a great job, shine just that more brightly because we actually need a spectrum here since a lot of Xenforo customers do not realize just how good they got it here compared to vBulletin, which can get quite expensive in the long run.

Sometimes it's better to resist the temptation and say nothing (this of course applies to me to). As far as I'm concerned, the thing with DRE was over before you reopened it with this reply of yours. You could have avoided it if you would have hit me up via PM or have done research first. And then you spread the false information that DRE and I had an issue with each other.

The temptation was broken when you brought the grievance you have to me which btw I still don't know what your referring to. You felt you had to highlight it since i didn't know anything you were referring to and it must have been playing on your mind. Why would I pm you when I clearly don't know what and why you being this way? You didn't like the fact I praised DRE's post, and seen merit in what he did by posting a poll welcoming DB add-ons to xenforo. Now bare in mind at this point I am completely unaware of what issues you have with him, and still unaware of what issues you have with him since you clearly have and I'm just venturing off to homebase to fetch some "paint me confused" coloured paint.

Your mad because I praised a thread "he created" welcoming DB add-ons. This is the fundamental reason for your reaction Luxus which is caused by a reply asking a questions with you responding abruptly and rather vague in the way of a response that you gave towards me.

I think I have to agree with Alex, this thread is well past it's sale by date.

Not a cop out at all, I'm genuinely trying to gather as much data as possible to help me make accurate decisions on this stuff. You seemed extremely certain about your position on profitability potential and I was hoping that was based on some actual data you would be willing to share and not just on what you figure is probably right in your head.
Like many people here I don't release figures.

But on donations on the limited & very basic free resources I've released, enough.

As for my work here (installs, upgrades, server setups, ect...), also enough.

You're looking for hard numbers & I seriously doubt anyone will give you any either in public or private. And they'd be smart not to do so.

and that's more of the kind of stuff Xenforo needs, more quality addons, which means more competition, which makes the coders who are already doing a great job, shine just that more brightly because we actually need a spectrum here since a lot of Xenforo customers do not realize just how good they got it here compared to vBulletin, which can get quite expensive in the long run.

I get it - there are certain addons that are not available for xF and that you wish to have for your own reasons. Still, you are confusing quantity with quality. While xF may not have as many addons as vB, the percentage of quality addons I see here far exceeds the percentage of quality addons over at vB.org. I guess part of it has to do with the OO/MVC nature of xF which makes it more difficult for PHP "newbies" to join the crowd of addon coders.

I have been using vB for over ten years. One thing I can guarantee you is that the former success of vB's mod community was not related to a developer's prospect of earning money. In fact, I maintain that before IB took over, the majority of add-on coders released their stuff for free and for fame only. Dragonbyte has been around since when - 2010? He may think of the purpose and nature and success of add-on communities in different ways - but fact is, an add-on marketplace is not what made vBulletin strong in the past.

Reactions: Kim
I get it - there are certain addons that are not available for xF and that you wish to have for your own reasons. Still, you are confusing quantity with quality. While xF may not have as many addons as vB, the percentage of quality addons I see here far exceeds the percentage of quality addons over at vB.org. I guess part of it has to do with the OO/MVC nature of xF which makes it more difficult for PHP "newbies" to join the crowd of addon coders.

I have been using vB for over ten years. One thing I can guarantee you is that the former success of vB's mod community was not related to a developer's prospect of earning money. In fact, I maintain that, before IB took over, the majority of add-on coders released their stuff for free and for fame only. Dragonbyte has been around since when - 2010? He may think of the purpose and nature and success of add-on communities in different ways - but fact is, an add-on marketplace is not what made vBulletin strong in the past.
I didn't know all that. Didn't know anything about addons or addon marketplace before 2010, so when I became a webmaster in 2010 I thought they were all about how much money they could make from us cause I ended up having to pay a lot for some addons I thought either should be free or part of the core, which is part of what led me to switch to Xenforo in the first place because a lot of stuff I had paid money for on vBulletin was already part of Xenforo's core. I love Xenforo man you just don't know!

That's really cool that they release stuff for free or for fame only. Who does that on here?

*looks* http://xenforo.com/community/resources/authors

Shelley, me, you, lms, Brogan, Jake, Adam... the list seems small compared to vBulletin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom