Was the Xmas special good, bad, or indifferent

• It rocked cause Amy Pond was in it

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Can't the Doctor regenerate to being David Tennant

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Sorry had a few too many sherbets and missed it

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Personally, I thought that this was the first Dr Who christmas special that hasn't made me want to gouge my own eyes out with the TV remote. I'm not saying it was great, but I am saying that the previous ones have been almost cataclysmic in their diabolical awfulness.

What.. you're dissing our Kylie (gag) and her brilliant acting in the Titanic one!!! :p

I think most TV show Christmas specials are all either cheezy or a little tired tbh.

What.. you're dissing our Kylie (gag) and her brilliant acting in the Titanic one!!! :p

I think most TV show Christmas specials are all either cheezy or a little tired tbh.

I feel D Who is a cheesey show with every show that's ever aired. Not a real fan of it apart from the theme tune, and ending credits.

I feel D Who is a cheesey show with every show that's ever aired. Not a real fan of it apart from the theme tune, and ending credits.
I think they've aimed for cheese with the modern Dr Who. The old (60s, 70s, 80s) shows look cheesy now, but they weren't intended to be cheesy, nor did they seem particularly cheesy when they first aired. The new Dr Who is not being made the in the same spirit as the pre-modern-era series. Unfortunately.

I think they've aimed for cheese with the modern Dr Who. The old (60s, 70s, 80s) shows look cheesy now, but they weren't intended to be cheesy, nor did they seem particularly cheesy when they first aired. The new Dr Who is not being made the in the same spirit as the pre-modern-era series. Unfortunately.

I can remember watching old shows with Tom baker, Peter (deckchair suit) Davidson and thought it was a little cheesy even back then. Blake 7, now there was a show that I felt wisely used up their 100 million budget. Ahh had to laugh at that one, blake 7.

Just out of idle curiosity as to what formed this perception (as opposed to, any desire to have a conversation about politics), what sources are you basing this on?

well.. good question, and I also have no desire to talk politics on a site where it is not welcomed.. but... it is an opinion formed after a great deal of observation.

Nearly 10 years of online interaction with Americans of all political persuasions and many many many discussions with them on many things including politics, coupled with the fact that the most popular News Service in the USA is Fox News and reports here on various aspects of US life, all of it adds to the impression that America is by and largely Right Wing.

Not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, just an outsider viewpoint based on observation. :)

Just out of idle curiosity as to what formed this perception (as opposed to, any desire to have a conversation about politics), what sources are you basing this on?

I think what he is saying is that our perception of right/middle/left isn't the same as the UK or Europe. Our middle would by right of their middle. From my travels over the last 30 years, I would generally agree.
I wouldn't exactly call it an American culture. Neither would Europeans. They would say there is no such thing as an American culture or culture in America!
wink.png

I think our brand of politics (without actually discussing politics), is due to our two party, adversarial system where as much of Europe has a multi-party coallition system that keeps them from having the partisan split we experience.
At least thats my opinion, colored slightly by a few shots of Patron.

Nearly 10 years of online interaction with Americans of all political persuasions and many many many discussions with them on many things including politics, coupled with the fact that the most popular News Service in the USA is Fox News and reports here on various aspects of US life, all of it adds to the impression that America is by and largely Right Wing.

Interesting - thanks for explaining! :)

I think what he is saying is that our perception of right/middle/left isn't the same as the UK or Europe. Our middle would by right of their middle. From my travels over the last 30 years, I would generally agree.

Pretty much what I was meaning yes, even your middle is further right than ours... making our middle quite Left to you.

Oh and I am a she, and Australian not European, but the same thing applies to us too.

Just watched it. It wasn't that great. Could have used a lot more Amy Pond though.

Also I miss David Tennant as the Doctor. He really was able to display the complexity one would expect of a Time Lord, particularly the 'old soul in a young body' component of the character..

Pretty much what I was meaning yes, even your middle is further right than ours... making our middle quite Left to you.

Oh and I am a she, and Australian not European, but the same thing applies to us too.
No offense meant. Aussies are a little weird to me (in a good way). Despite the political stuff, y'all are more like Texans that the rest of our country is.

How do they fund BBC America?

BBC America is part of 'BBC Worldwide', which is the commercial wing of the BBC designed to sell BBC productions worldwide, operate commercial TV stations outside the UK and to publish books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, etc both in the UK and overseas - all profits are put back into the BBC [corporation] and therefore helps to keep the TV licence lower than it could actually be.

'BBC Worldwide' should not be confused with the 'BBC World Service', the international radio services that aren’t commercial and have in the past been funded directly by the government, but that is changing as part of the current government cut-backs and will in future have to be funded from the TV licence fee.

Funny thing is your unbiased comes across as very left leaning here.

That doesn't surprise me TBH, as Fox News scares the hell out of most people I know.
biggrin.png

Personally, I thought that this was the first Dr Who christmas special that hasn't made me want to gouge my own eyes out with the TV remote. I'm not saying it was great, but I am saying that the previous ones have been almost cataclysmic in their diabolical awfulness.

Do we have to inform Mrs Kier that you are frothing at the mouth over Amy Pond?

Just did the entire season 5 in one setting, they now have a good excuse to get over the total number of regenerations which I vaguely think we are pretty close to.

Top Bottom