Fixed Double post problem in Conversations using Firefox on Mac OSX

I wonder if that little balloon that pops up on the lower left part of the screen has anything to do with the problem. The reason I ask is often I see this balloon and when I do see it I can count on a double post.

Perhaps this will help you, Mike.

I often have about 9 tabs open. One of the tabs will be to a conversation I have on-going. I will click the tab, reload the page and see a new reply. I then make my reply and that's when the double post will show. I then reload the page to remove the double post.

This has happened to me no less than 10 time already today.

Last edited:
@AndyB - just out of curiosity do you get two separate message ID's when you hover over the reply button or is it the same message ID just displayed twice? (e.g.; reply?m=123456)

Okay just got a duplicate AJAX post. Yes same post_id number.

Another clue for, Mike. I had two tabs open for the same conversation when I just got this last duplicate AJAX post. The other member and I are basically typing at the same time when the little balloon pops up. After the balloon disappears I reload the page and that is when I see the duplicate AJAX post.

Last edited:
Update:

Yesterday I upgraded Firefox to version 29. I think the problem is resolved. I have been using the PM system very heavy this morning here at XenForo.com and didn't get a single duplicate AJAX post.

Mike did you make any changes? If not the it appears the latest version of Firefox has fixed this bug.

I'm still on Mozilla Firefox 28.0 (I guess 29.0 hasn't rolled to me yet, haha), and I cannot confirm the bug.

I just got a double post.

I refreshed the page assuming I was going to get a new PC and that's when it happened. I got the double post in the PC.

I just got a double post.

I refreshed the page assuming I was going to get a new PC and that's when it happened. I got the double post in the PC.

Andy, if you can provide the steps to reproduce this, I can give it a try and see if I run into the bug.

Andy, if you can provide the steps to reproduce this, I can give it a try and see if I run into the bug.

I had one tab open for XenForo and it was showing an on going Conversation page. The other Conversation participant and I were exchanging a new PC every minute or so. In anticipation I clicked the "Reload current page" button in my Firefox Browser and I assume the other participant just posted a few seconds prior, so I got his new PC not once but twice as a double post.

Thinking about this, this probably is FF specific and is related specifically to refreshing the page. FF does very aggressive form caching on reset, so it's probably keeping the old form values. As far as I know, the only way around this is with a really ugly hack (resetting the form when the page loads, which may have other problems, or possibly disabling autocomplete).

I can possibly understand keeping the values of visible form fields, but keeping hidden field values is just dangerous.

Hi Mike,

I would like to clarify, the double post which occurred when I reloaded the page was a double post of the other participant. I had not started typing into the editor form at all and it was empty.

I have confirmed the behavior mentioned in my previous post. FF is saving the last_date value on reload, but since it's bringing the new post in that's incorrect. I believe I have found a workaround, though it's more hackish than I would have liked. This will be rolled out here within a few hours.

I'm going to consider this fixed, but please let me know if you see it after today on XF.com.

Top Bottom