Not planned Don't parser BB code unless it's closed out

frm

I suggest that BB code isn't parsed unless it's closed with its appropriate closing tag.

I was adding a quote that didn't include "I", but was written as such (not in 1st person). In English, you wrap what is meant in the context in brackets, which in this case was "I". In order to accomplish this, I had to revert to parenthesis in order to do it. However, this is grammatically incorrect, but putting it in brackets would cause an entire post to be italicized.

There are many other instances of BB code rendering a post unreadable if the closing tag isn't used too.

(Just testing for future case in this parenthesis if I can use a space until this is taken into consideration [ I ] -- testing, italicized?)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I am not sure if I understand this suggestion ...

An open BB-Code-Tag without its closing tag is invalid.
If you want to have [I] you can just use [PLAIN][I][/PLAIN] - that is it's intended use.

I am not sure if I understand this suggestion ...

An open BB-Code-Tag without its closing tag is invalid.
If you want to have [I] you can just use [PLAIN][I][/PLAIN] - that is it's intended use.
I'm unsure regular users would understand that if they were to put [I] into a quote to say something not directly said by "them", but does mean an affirmative of "them" in context (at least I learned how to so I can edit the post to put brackets instead of parenthesis).

However, try using the [URL] tag in different scenarios without closing it out. It behaves weirdly by bunching up a lot of text as seen in the OP or it creates everything after it a link, which can't be the case, if they regex a URL at minimum. So [URL] should be closed out with [/URL] as well as any other tag for it to render as it should.

Edit: It's actually a link trail of https://xenforo.com/community/threads/closing-out-bb-tags-especially-url.183586/ from the bug report to the testing forum where you see it behaving differently.

Here is an example of where "I" could be used in a quote, without the user/person saying "I":
[I] walked three miles to and from school, uphill both ways

Last edited:
In the above example, it'd be a suggestion to also regex URL. However, it also shows that by not closing it out properly can mess things up, as to why I reported it as a bug as well.

This is exceedingly unlikely to be something that will be changed. It has behaved this way since XF 1.0 and it's actually reasonably important from a performance standpoint otherwise you create situations which require major backtracking (as the way the syntax tree is built depends on rules for each tag).

In formal languages, you just trigger a syntax error but that isn't really viable in something like BB code, so this is the way to handle it. You effectively see the same thing in HTML for what I expect are many of the same reasons.

Top Bottom