Domain Redirect help needed

Peggy

I hope I can successfully explain what I'm wanting to do here -

As you already know, my site's domain is mahoningvalleytalk.com.
I recently purchased mahoningvalleytalki.net, youngstowntalk.com, and youngstownforums.com.

I want all three of these to point to mahoningvalleytalk.com.
I have tried to do this at namecheap.com - three different times, in fact - without success. Redirecting domains at godaddy was a breeze.

This is what I did -
Went into my Namecheap domain manager. Clicked the little box next to the domain. And there were no links to click to take me to where I needed to do this redirecting. SOOO... I checked the little boxes next to all three names (listed above), then clicked on the Url Forwarding link that appeared on the left, which told me to click on the All Host Records link, which I did. Now there's a place @ with a box next to it for domains without the www., and there's a box next to the www. Not knowing what to do, I filled in both boxes with mahoningvalleytalk.com. Probably not correct but I didn't know what to do. Anyway, I've done thing 3 separate times, and still when I type any of those domains in the address bar above, they do not go to my site.

If fact they don't go anywhere except to a Yahoo! error page saying that this page cannot be found. grrrrrrrrrrrrr..... I'm guessing that this is because all of these urls have my custom DNS?

Could someone please explain to me how to do this at Namecheap? Obviously I'm not doing something correctly.

Or is there another way to redirect these urls to my site?

And please, explain this as clearly as possible. I feel stupid enough for having to ask. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

oook perhaps my mistake was in changing the DNS on the other three to my servers' DNS?
So I should change them back to Namecheaps' DNS?

This is what I do for all my extra domains
first set the DNS to your server
than setup accounts for the domains
than place an htaccess file in the root with this code in it and you should be good to go with any versions of each url.. example site.com/anything-after-the-slash/

Code:
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://newsite.com/ [L,R=301]

Does this help?

http://www.namecheap.com/support/kn...77/how-do-i-setup-url-forwarding-for-a-domain

"To get the "All Hosts Record" option, go to "Domain Name Server Setup", then click on the link at the bottom of that page that says "Transfer the DNS back to us". You have to do this even if you've selected to use the namecheap hosting servers instead of custom nameservers. Once you transfer the dns back to namecheap, you should get the "all hosts record" option."

Simplest way to do it, is point the domains at the same nameservers as your current domain. (ns1.XXX/ns2.xxx)

Or if you do the dns manually, point it at the same IP address/a record.

Then in Cpanel, "park" those domains on the same account as your main domain (mahoningvalleytalk.com), using the Park Domain option.

Parked Domains (Domain pointers) allow you to "point" or "park" additional domain names to your existing hosting account. This will allow users to also reach your website when entering the "parked" or "pointed" domain into their browsers.

Peggy,

if your primary site is not setup to answer requests for your 3 other domains then you will get an error. You need to add the 3 new domains to your webserver config as additional server names.

Thanks everyone.

Does this help?

http://www.namecheap.com/support/kn...77/how-do-i-setup-url-forwarding-for-a-domain

"To get the "All Hosts Record" option, go to "Domain Name Server Setup", then click on the link at the bottom of that page that says "Transfer the DNS back to us". You have to do this even if you've selected to use the namecheap hosting servers instead of custom nameservers. Once you transfer the dns back to namecheap, you should get the "all hosts record" option."

This is actually what I did have to do ^. Change from my servers' DNS back to Namecheaps' default DNS, then do the url forwarding. Seems to be working now.

Thanks for your help. :)

Top Bottom