XF 2.2 Does XF has a "new posts rss feed" to present to IFTTT for example?

Black Tiger

I can't imagine Xen does not have this yet, but maybe I'm missing it because I read somewhere there is something like that.

I need an RSS feed to use with IFTTT. So guest should be able to visit this. I don't mind if it's a hidden url.

My other software can create feeds from about anything, even select yourself from which forums you do want to have new posts imported in the feed or not. Easy way to exclude chat forums.

I need something like this build in, even if it's limited, but where can I find this.

Solution
search forum is a 2.2 feature. if you have 2.2 you can create it already. it is a node type. you can create one right from where you create a new forum on your xenforo installation!
check the link of the search forum itself. unless it has threads, rss would be empty as well. i checked settings on mine, i haven't selected any user group. maybe that would help? for starters, keep cache length to 1 minute so that results are refreshed fast. not sure if results are updated instantly if you make changes to the search forum settings.

I made the mistake to put a title in the Thread Criteria. :ROFLMAO:

So now I have content in it, but still some differences come to my attention.

IFTTT does not check the RSS every minute as far as I know, so would a setting of 1 minute be enough?

Also, you don't have that search forum itself on top of the rss file like in my code on the previous page. Mine starts with my search forums channel name.
Have a look if you want, it's just a test yes. Yours looks a lot better it seems.
Ehmz... how did you do that with your link previously? I will put it into code just to be sure. Ah found it.
https://www.mydomain.com/search-forums/search.80/index.rss

And just out of curiousity, how did you manage to get it like /forum-name/433/index.rss while by default, even with friendly url's enabled it's like here on xenforo like /forum-name.433/index.rss. Is the method you use better for SEO?

Last edited:
ifttt refresh times are i believe 15 minutes. could be higher now that they have paid plans. 1 minute would be too much. if you have a really active forum, 15 minutes would be fine. because every rss update would get the at least one search forum update.

you can easily test out how frequently ifttt is posting by running a test. post new content every minute in a temporary forum and see when ifttt actually tweets out a new tweet for a rss feed of that forum.

i have keywords disabled in urls on my board. so my urls are shorter but they don't include any keywords.

ps. if you are using a search forum just for rss. there is no need to have 100s of threads in it. keep it low at 5 or 10.

Last edited:
if you have a really active forum, 15 minutes would be fine.
No it's not that active. In fact we are going to merge with another forum to try and pump up the activity.
Normally when a new post is made, I've seen it on FB and Twitter often after an hour or 2. I'm using the free IFTTT versions because it's not that big a deal for me and they only started recently with paid versions.

Oh that is a good tip. The search results were at 200, now limited to 50.

Going to test and see how this looks, thank you very much again!

free ifttt has a daily limit for posts as well. iirc it was 20-25 posts a day. so keep an eye on the pattery and increase update time for search forums based on that. it is really not a good option for rss feed posting for active forums these days.

Oh was it? Didn't know that, I thought the only limit was 3 applets. But we would already be happy if we would have 25 new posts a day. :)

it is really not a good option for rss feed posting for active forums these days.
That might be, but my forum is not really active and I don't know any other way to put posts on Twitter and FB, other then manually copy them which isn't a good idea either.

Also, how to add open graph to the feed? Reddit links for example, could display the icon if they found the rss image open graph tag in rss feeds, but xenforo doesn't seem to have this implemented (yet).

Any ways to customize the RSS php file in order to include this edit? Also, what's the php file responsible of generating the rss feeds?

Top Bottom