Does XenForo work on Bluehost?

Whatley187

I just spoke with a Bluehost rep and they said that they meet the requirements, but the "safe mode" thing might be an issue. Does anyone have experience using Bluehost with XenForo?

Is this directed at the OP? Thank you I am aware of all that, however some people have said Bluehost for some reason was incompatible with XF and have not really said why or what the problems was so I'm looking for more exact info as to what the issue is. Perhaps the problem could be brought to BH's attention and they could resolve it.
From what I saw, it wasn't that it was incompatible... only that it appeared that there were security problems along with some performance problems.

Exactly! Yeah because @Tracy Perry I made sure before I even set up my forum that my hosting was 100% compatible. I am not saying it doesn't support XF or have the correct platforms and setup within it to do so. Just that it had a major security breech and the host DID affect the performance of add-ons, shockingly so. I didn't want to believe that the server could potentially cause add-ons to not work like they were intended to. But proved myself way wrong when I DID move, and then saw what didn't work before was working just fine now.

Exactly! Yeah because @Tracy Perry I made sure before I even set up my forum that my hosting was 100% compatible. I am not saying it doesn't support XF or have the correct platforms and setup within it to do so. Just that it had a major security breech and the host DID affect the performance of add-ons, shockingly so. I didn't want to believe that the server could potentially cause add-ons to not work like they were intended to. But proved myself way wrong when I DID move, and then saw what didn't work before was working just fine now.
That's ONE of the reasons I only stuck with a shared hosting solution for a few months before moving on to a VPS (which allowed ME to control what did what) then onward to dedicated servers. The VPS was nice, but was still dependent on how many other VPS's were on the box. By having dedicated servers I KNOW that I'm the only one getting all the resources (which are not that high right now since I hardly have any users - but if the forums grow then I know that I'll have plenty of horsepower for them. :p

@MistyMeanor thanks for the feedback. Not knowing exactly what the issue was makes it hard to decide. I know after 15 years with BH that they have been reliable and secure. That being said we all know that just the mire presents of being on the web makes us all vulnerable to those who know how to circumvent and exploit holes.
My main concern would be that for some reason, some setting on their server would make running XF or some add-on not work as expected. If I was looking at just one install it might be worth the gamble but I'm looking at a bigger picture.
So whatever info anyone can provide re incompatibility that would be great.

A few months ago I had to escape from another Endurance International company -- FatCow.

Poor performance under moderate loads: 100-150 actives users does NOT mean that 150 users are accessing your site NOW, only that 100-150 users have accessed it in the last 15-30 minutes, and FatCow couldn't reliably serve pages at that rate during peak times. Users were getting lots of blank pages, and and there were many aborts on memory issues, apparently with XenTag. All of this finally went away when I moved sites to KnownHost.

Final straw was a thread about a perverted teacher that got busted after shagging two her students. 12K hits in two days apparently sunk their DB server, and they disabled that account, which included my most "lucrative" site ("lucrative" is a stretch, but it pays the internet bills) and several other XF sites & WP blogs.

In the course of moving ~9 (at the time) XF sites & 5 WP blogs across several accounts, I discovered that many of FatCow's DB backups were missing tables. In some cases NONE of the last three daily backups that they make available had complete tables. And their option to create DB backups in zip/gzip formats usually didn't work. Having to download a non-compressed 80MB backup to my laptop & then upload it to KnownHost is not fun.

Regarding their DB servers: Fatcow limits you to 75K requests per hour per user (raised from 50K when they first put the limit in place in ~2008). A busy forum can hit that limit without much effort.

And I had other issues with them over the years, like disabling MOD REWRITE without any notice, which kind left my 4 sites running vbSEO + vBulletin in limbo.

&c

Avoid them.

Top Bottom