XF 2.1 Does Xenforo have an announcement thread feature built in?

TechBill

On our old forum, we had a forum that was assigned that any new posts within it would be a sticky on the Forum List as an announcement post for everyone to see when they visit the site.

Does Xenforo have that functionally built in or an addon for it?

A screenshot of what the announcement panel looked like on our old forum on the forum list.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 12.38.41 PM.webp

Bill

Actually the Prefix Actions add-on could automatically stick it.

So that announcement forum, I just adjust the permission setting only registered users can reply to it but not make new posts?

We want only moderators and higher ranks to be able to create new posts in that forum to appear above the Forum List. But registered users can reply to it.

only registered users can reply to it but not make new posts?
That makes no sense. Reply to it but not make new posts?

You probably mean you want them to be able to reply, but not create new threads?

It depends on how your global usergroup options are set for the usergroup registered. Most of us have it set to "yes" for both permissions.
1583440963941.png

Then what you have to do is to go to that node "Announcement" and set post new thread to "no" for registered.

1583441051788.png

And adjust it for the unregistered usergroup, it depends on its global option how you set it up on the node level.

@sbj

You are correct, regular user are not allowed to create new thread but they can reply to it.

I did just what you show in the photo but the administrator couldn't make new thread so I change the administrative permission from inherit to yes. and it seems to work for us now.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbj
@sbj

You are correct, regular user are not allowed to create new thread but they can reply to it.

I did just what you show in the photo but the administrator couldn't make new thread so I change the administrative permission from inherit to yes. and it seems to work for us now.
Well, since administrators are also in the registered usergroup by default, now they also cannot create new threads. And the solution to that is exactly what you did, so you figured it out :).

Top Bottom