Does this have an official term?

James

I am not good with business letters and things, so I am unsure on the terminology of such things and I decided to ask this nice, mature audience as opposed to the immature audiences I generally come across.

When reading letters or looking at websites, words and phrases often have characters appended to them to suggest some kind of hidden terms with the offer. Example:
Lorem Ipsum blah blah Buy Now Pay Next Year*

*If you place a deposit of £1,500 on initial purchase

Thanks if anyone can help. I have been referring to them as "special characters", but I think that's just because I spend too much time on the internet!

They're just typographical symbol or glyphs used for footnotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagger_(typography)

The dagger is usually used to indicate a footnote, in the same way an asterisk is. However, the dagger is only used for a second footnote when an asterisk is already used. A third footnote employs the double dagger.[1] Additional footnotes are somewhat inconsistent and represented by a variety of symbols, e.g., parallels (||) and the pilcrow (¶),

I wouldn't say they were glyphs because they're usually used as an alternate definition (such as accents on letters) from what I remember. I'll go with footnote, thanks Brogan :)

In the particular document I'm analysing (yawns) it's more of a condition than a disclaimer. Addendum could work, I'll have a think about whether or not to use footnote or addendum :)

Thanks everyone.

An addendum usually comes at the end of a publication, like a supplement or appendix, not at the bottom of pages.